Thread: new workshop questions

new workshop questions

I am mainly a woodturner but also have the common woodworking tools too. I have a nova 1624 lathe, Jet 1014 mini, 14" bandsaw, contractors table saw, floor drill press, dust collector and various smaller tools. Most tools are on casters.

I have been using our two car garage as a shop but have to move everything out to get anything done. then clean up and move it all back out of the way to pull in the cars. real pain in the a**. Plus there is the summer heat and winter cold to deal with. common problems for garage shops.

So, my thought is to use a concrete room on the backside of garage that was excavated at time of construction of the house. I have attached a picture to better show what I am talking about. The interior dimensions are 10.5' x 21.5'. I am getting a 60amp sub-panel added to the room so I will have all the electric I will need. One benefit of this room is that it has earth contact so the temperature is fairly stable around 80 degrees. I have a portable air conditioner/dehumidifier/heater ready to use when I move into the room. I have been running the dehumidifier for a couple weeks and have it down to 40% humidity and hoovering around 80 degrees. I have played with Grizzly's shop layout tool and have everything able to fit in its own place. Also have room for storage and a spot for logs for turning.

I was wondering about airflow/ventilation and thought of changing out one of the doors with one with a window. Is 60amp enough for common woodworking. I only use the dust collector and one other tool at a time. I have no need or desire to get up to something like a welder that would need a bigger circuit.

So my question is does anyone see any downsides to this type of setup.

Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephen Massman; 07-23-2009 at 1:52 PM.

What us above the room? (ie., what is the ceiling of the room and what is it made of)

From the photo it looks to me alot like a standard basement with no windows. The dehumidifier/heater should be able to supply you with some air circulation within the room. My question (and I believe yours) is looking at air exchange. Out there in MO, do you have to worry about radon (decaying radiation from granite rock)? If you do, that's another thing you'll want to consider dealing with before taking up residency in a concrete room with no windows. Either way, I would think that some outside air exchange would be nice.

I recently started a post about the sizing of a 60A subpanel. My feeling from the posts is that it would be just enough to run a 20A 220V dust collector, 20A 220A bandsaw, 20A 120V air compressor, 20A 120V tablesaw, and a 15A circuit for handtools. This is given that the 220V tools are across both legs and the TS and compressor are on different legs.

Above this room is the garage. So the ceiling of this room is concrete.

I guess it is outside air exchange that would be preferred. I guess this would be dealt with a hammer drill and some big bits. What would I want to put in to get some sort air exchange working.

I have heard of radon in Missouri but not sure if I would be a problem. The windows on the left of the picture are the finished basement. So I would think I would have found a radon problem already, but maybe not. Isnt there test kits you can buy at the borgs.

Since I rarely run more than two tools at a time I would think a 60amp would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    What us above the room? (ie., what is the ceiling of the room and what is it made of)

From the photo it looks to me alot like a standard basement with no windows. The dehumidifier/heater should be able to supply you with some air circulation within the room. My question (and I believe yours) is looking at air exchange. Out there in MO, do you have to worry about radon (decaying radiation from granite rock)? If you do, that's another thing you'll want to consider dealing with before taking up residency in a concrete room with no windows. Either way, I would think that some outside air exchange would be nice.

I recently started a post about the sizing of a 60A subpanel. My feeling from the posts is that it would be just enough to run a 20A 220V dust collector, 20A 220A bandsaw, 20A 120V air compressor, 20A 120V tablesaw, and a 15A circuit for handtools. This is given that the 220V tools are across both legs and the TS and compressor are on different legs.

In regards to the two tools at once thing, I found it ironic that the compressor, DC, and BS count as three, even though I'm only using "one" of them.

Yes, there are test kits available. I suggest one with longer weeks/months exposure for a more accurate reading (long story, short one is I have been a guinea pig with a state/fed program for radon testing). If you have a radon situation the worst thing you can do is blow basement air out without radon mitigation in place. The "basement fan" will cause the radon to be sucked into the basement and spike your exposure. Does the room have four concrete walls? You'll need an air let as well as a fan outlet.

I hardly ever have my small compressor running with other tools. So that one doesn't count for me. But if I ever upgrade I will have to think about that.

It is a complete six sided concrete room including the ceiling and floor. The only outside access is the doors. So I would have to core out an intake and a outtake holes. Could I do some sort of venting with the doors? I will have to drill one 4" hole in the door to vent the air conditioner heat.

Thanks for all the help.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    In regards to the two tools at once thing, I found it ironic that the compressor, DC, and BS count as three, even though I'm only using "one" of them.

Yes, there are test kits available. I suggest one with longer weeks/months exposure for a more accurate reading (long story, short one is I have been a guinea pig with a state/fed program for radon testing). If you have a radon situation the worst thing you can do is blow basement air out without radon mitigation in place. The "basement fan" will cause the radon to be sucked into the basement and spike your exposure. Does the room have four concrete walls? You'll need an air let as well as a fan outlet.

60 amp should be plently

If may be a good idea to talk to a masonary contractor about getting a window or 2 cut in the foundation. Nothing better than natural light.

Would it be easier to just cutout windows in the doors or get new doors with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    60 amp should be plently

If may be a good idea to talk to a masonary contractor about getting a window or 2 cut in the foundation. Nothing better than natural light.
    Last edited by Stephen Massman; 07-24-2009 at 1:03 PM.

I guess you could get doors with windows that open in them but I don't know how secure they are.

I'll be intersted to see what you find out.

Yeah I have thought about the problem of security of windows also.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I guess you could get doors with windows that open in them but I don't know how secure they are.

I'll be intersted to see what you find out.