Thread: Installing Oak Stairs (steps)

Blog Entries

Installing Oak Stairs (steps)

Hey all, is it nessasary to use felt paper under the steps as you would in a floor aplication. The steps will be 3/4 solid Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Hey all, is it nessasary to use felt paper under the steps as you would in a floor aplication. The steps will be 3/4 solid Oak.
    I used mad amounts of PL adhesive. No squeaks yet.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Use lots of subfloor glue, and do NOT put paper under the treads. Glue everything, and you will have no squeaks.

+1 for copious amounts of PL400 subfloor adhesive.

Sean, I agree with the others about the glue, no paper. Are you using 3/4" due to cost issues? Most stair treads are made of 5/4" material. Are you replacing existing? If so you will need to do alot of shimming if using a thinner material than is there already. This would need to be done so you do not have an issue with different riser heights at top or bottom.

Good luck,
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dunn jr View Post
    Sean, I agree with the others about the glue, no paper. Are you using 3/4" due to cost issues? Most stair treads are made of 5/4" material. Are you replacing existing? If so you will need to do alot of shimming if using a thinner material than is there already. This would need to be done so you do not have an issue with different riser heights at top or bottom.

Good luck,
    Bill
    Good catch !! I wasn't thinking. Treads will probably be 5/4 but now I'll have to shim the wedge pieces on the bottom 4 steps that turn to the left 90 degrees unless I can find some 5/4 stock. I better start looking for some wood. Thanks, Sean