Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Table replacement -- DIY ? or other cheaper alternative

Cutting Table replacement -- DIY ? or other cheaper alternative

after 3 years, my honeycomb table needs to be replaced. And my other 2 machines looks like it could use a new one. A quick call to the mercury dealer gives me a $630 price tag in this part of the world.

I'm looking for Dot It Yourself alternatives. I was thinking of stainless steel sheet with holes big and small drilled onto them for minimu steel left.

I thought I also saw in the forum before some sort of a chain cutting table?

I was just thinking of elevating the engraving table with random stuff but I kinda need the actual cutting table for large production quantity jobs where registration would be the issue. Its so much easier aligning the jig with the upper left hand stoppers for the replacement batch.

Any ideas? Pictures please!

I use my honeycomb surface a lot. Couldn't imagine doing without. I hear Mike Null (moderator hereabouts) has really nice ones at good prices.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Seems like someone told me recently that you can buy the honeycomb material from either Grainger or McMaster Carr and it was less than $100.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The last time I bought one (12"x24") from Epilog it was $35 for the honeycomb, and easy to replace in the frame.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Talk to Mike Null

I concur with John. Send a PM to Mike Null and discuss his vector grids with him. He'll take care of you.

Jim

Call Mike or go to www.mcmaster.com and enter Aluminum Honeycomb into the search box.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

anyone remember the link to the chain cutting table?

Harry

I don't recall seeing the chain cutting table but as far as registering your work at 0-0 that's fairly easy.

In the drawing you can see what are called risers. These support the cutting grid above the table. The risers are positioned against the rulers of the table. The tabs are fastened to the risers so that they permit the risers to butt against the rulers. The tabs are cut high enough to allow positioning but not so high they will get in the way of the laser head.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-05-2009 at 8:14 AM. Reason: sp
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, do you have an actual photo of one of these? I get the concept & do have a lot of use for it. However doesn't the width of the tab alter the X/Y zero? Re-zeroing the laser to these new points is easy, but my Corel templates would then all be off... or would it? hmmmmm
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim

The width of the tab doesn't affect the 0-0 position. As long as you have the risers positioned against the rulers the tabs will follow a perpendicular line from the rulers.

If you'll look at my web site where the red laminate is you'll see the wood tabs protuding slightly above the plastic.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-05-2009 at 9:57 AM. Reason: add on
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

ditto on the picture. I would love to see one.

I kinda wanted the chain idea because of the ease of cleaning them.

Any other DIY ideas for cutting tables?

OK but remember this table is 4 years old. I could replace it but it's still good--regardless how it looks.

The arrows are pointing to risers and tabs.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-05-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Here's another drawing.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you Mike. The picture and the second drawing was just what I needed. Now, how do you attach the tabs to the Grid?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

The tabs aren't attached to the grid, they're attached to the risers and they're stapled.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7