The subject says it all.

I've read several threads regarding this (e.g. John Hain's 25 July post, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62338), and I'd like to ask for a little more detailed help.

Basically, I've got the .22 Ramset and it won't sink 2.5" nails through 2x6s into the concrete in my basement using the yellow #4 charges. I went to buy the level 5 charges, and it turns out they don't make those in .22, only in the larger calibers. So I groaned and bought some Tapcons and the drill bits to use them. Turns out they don't work, either. I must have drilled for 5 minutes and made no more than a 1/4" deep hole in the floor. There is no way that I'm going to do that for all of the fasteners I need.

Has anyone run into this problem? My basement is 35+ years old, and while it passes the Ramset test (basically, "set the fastener on the surface and hit it normally with a hammer, if it makes a dent then the fastener will drive into the surface"), yet with the #4 charges I only get about 1/4" (if that) into the slab.

I really don't want to pay the $200 to upgrade to the .27 caliber system (which supports the #5 charges), and unless Tapcon sells the world's crappiest drill bit, I'm not sure that switching bits or drills will make a huge difference. No, I don't have a hammer drill, but does it make THAT much of a difference? I'm looking to drive ~150 fasteners, I don't want to spend 5 minutes on each.

HELP!! Anyone got some advice?

(Also: If anyone in the St. Louis area has a .27 Ramset system, I'll gladly pay to rent it, especially if I can test it first and it works!!)

daniel