Thread: What is your least favorite furniture design trend?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is your least favorite furniture design trend?

I don't exactly know why, but over time I have developed a dislike for live edge tables, in particular "river tables". Years ago, I did make and sell in a gallery a live edge bench (not just a slab bolted onto steel hairpin legs, but at least incorporating dovetail joinery), and I had purchased several other slabs before it became popular and the prices increased (I subsequently sold them at a small profit), but after making one thing out of a live edge slab, I decided I was moving on. It seems that this trend is everywhere (look on craigslist and see how many backyard lumber mills are offering such slabs), and I can't see it lasting except maybe in rustic, log-cabin style homes. It has even spawned those boutique woodworking accessory manufacturers to market things like expensive framework that you can use with your router to semi-flatten a live edge slab. It's probably just a matter of time before IKEA offers a particle board live edge slab table.

Am I alone in this feeling?

Are there other current design trends (like the reincarnation of MCM chrome and Formica dinette sets) that you really don't like?

I do have to give credit to those backyard lumber mills that are now successfully selling slab wood lumber that in prior years would have been, in most cases, worthless except as firewood (or for Door County fish boils).
    Last edited by Mike Mason; 09-07-2023 at 10:49 AM.