I did a search on Google and on this site and did not find an answer or any opinions.

Rob Cosman developed a technique during the pandemic to cut dovetail pins (he is a tail first kinda guy) in which he cuts the pins with an offset for a saw kerf. I admit its a little complicated for me but is based on the assumption that the tails and pins will line up better if one offsets the pins by the thickness of the saw kerf, moving one side over about 20 thous and the other side of the pin the other direction by about 20 thous. He uses a wheel type marking gauge or a brass set up block (called a Shawn Shim) to accomplish this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8SrH6HbDdQ at 35:40.

My first reaction was this was making a simple operation more complicated to sell more tools (his saw with a graduated tpi, his special saw type marking knife ground to the thickness of his saw, and these set up blocks, also gauged to his saw). It seems awfully fussy at first glance.

Then again, I spent the better part of this afternoon trying to fix a poor sawing technique, and then realized what my instructors at Homestead Heritage kept telling me that 90% of dovetail success is sawing, not chiseling, and if you are spending more time chiseling and paring tails and pins, then the blame is your sawing technique, as it is easier to saw than chisel. It seems to me that he lines up the kerfs for the pins and tails nearly dead on accurate with this technique. This might make the difference, as I hate fixing dovetails with a chisel.

Has anyone here ordered Cosman's saw, the saw type marking gauge, the shim or used that offset method?