I had my air conditioner repaired, a few pounds of Freon and a sealer were added, and I got a $450 bill. As he was repairing the air conditioner, he broke one of my sprinkler heads. He brought in the broken piece and showed it to me, no apology, no offer to get it repaired. I told him I'd get it repaired, I did and got a bill for $150 which I paid. I then sent a copy to the air conditioner repairman asking him to reimburse me. He called me outraged that I would send him the bill. He said that I said I would take care of it, well I did, but I surely did not mean that he shouldn't pay for the sprinkler repair. He told me he'd pay the $150 but not to call him him the future (I had no intention of calling him).
What's even more interesting is that I had discussed with him possibly replacing my units, we have three, one for each floor of the house, so for the sake of a $150 bill he was willing to throw away a potential much larger and more expensive job. This is what we now call customer service?