Thread: New storage box for chisels

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The first box, fully fitted, comes over as more refined. The hinged lid is the issue when in use. When you get to 7 chisels the lid would become very awkward, hence the change in design.

The circular magnets add a very modern look to the box, the floating chisel ends less refined. It is a lovely box make no mistake and that is part of the problem! If it was a pure utility simple boxwood construction with magnets it would be ‘acceptably’ modern .

Like you Derek I have a hard time building utility, imagining I’m going to live long enough to enjoy the luxury or at least someone else will! Unlike you, my luxury is usually limited to veneer!

It is true a washer below the magnet acts as a keeper and increases the holding power and life of the magnet. My appearance suggestion is to mix epoxy with ‘bronze’ powder, it’s really copper powder. The result is dull gold or aged bronze, rather refined. If enough is added to each magnet to flow over and just fill the void around each magnet you get the more classic look of gorgeous wood and bronze. Two or more layers of blue tape with the right size hole would help restrain the epoxy.

I use this a lot, repairing ‘oops’ on my bench. Filling worm holes on spalted wormy maple, gives subtle flecks of gold. I use the West epoxy system which is truly transparent. Just a thought.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 01-12-2022 at 9:29 AM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!