...No, not a roadside bar in SE OK; another kind of 'joint':

I didn't want to sidetrack the recent M&T thread with this, but discussions of other joint types there made me think others might be interested, or perhaps just unfamiliar.

I found this referenced as a "Fox Tail Tenon", but remembered that the author also called it a "Suicide Joint" - presumably due to the ONE and ONLY shot you get at assembly? Once it seats home, the only way it comes apart is to exceed the yield strength of the wood - - or let it rot!

It was applied to a stand I built, and the rails provided the best and most obvious 'handles' to pick up the assembly - which I anticipated could get fairly heavy. Tenons are great at resisting shear loads (cross-grain) . However, this load from being picked up would place the leg in vertical tension, and try to pull the tenon out of the mortice in exactly the same direction it went in. ...How can this go wrong? When i saw this joint, it seemed an ideal solution: I keep the same design; no way it pulls out... and a quick/dirty SketchUp of it (hope y'all can see it) - -
FoxtailTenon1024_1[1].jpg
And the satisfaction of it going together is IMMENSE!! Try it. You'll like it.