I've been meaning to "refresh" my DP table for a long time now and some recent threads kinda brought that back into focus. Small projects seem to be more approachable right now due to motivation and distraction it seems. Just to set the tone, here's a before and after. The remainder of these posts will show the process.

IMG_8756.jpg IMG_8762.jpg

I started this project on the computer since I would be using my CNC machine to cut a piece of left-over plywood into the required components. There is the actual table top, which incorporates tee-track for hold-down as well as a second layer for strength and to provide a platform for the removable inserts under the tooling. A half-dozen inserts were easily able to be cut from the same piece of material. (and I have another small piece that I can stock up on more...it's easy and quick to cut them)

As part of the design process, I selected the tee-track hardware first so I would have the exact dimensions required for the recesses in the top of the table. This included planning things so that the intersecting pieces would not require any additional track on the left and right side of the table. I happened to choose the PowerTec track off Amazon as they had exactly what I wanted and I could get the intersection kits separately. Another brand I was considering didn't sell the intersection kits separately from track and the cost would have been higher combining combinations, as it were. I only needed two intersection kits and one piece of 48" track, although I opted to buy two pieces of track "just in case" as well as it's handy to have some available.

IMG_8743.jpg

My Big Yellow Shop Assistant was very happy to do the hard work...

IMG_8744.jpg

...and the fit was just what I wanted--very snug.

IMG_8745.jpg

After a bit of sanding, the components were ready for assembly

IMG_8746.jpg

Glue and screws from the bottom did the deed after I marked off where the tee tracks would be to insure no interference. The 20mm grid on my bench insured that the two pieces were in exact registration while fastening them together.

IMG_8747.jpg IMG_8748.jpg