I've read a number of threads here on the subject but, unlike most woodworking equipment, it seams like things are always changing. What I want to be able to do is things like monogram inlays. I want to spend $500 but that really means I would like to stay under $2k for the machine. I figure 30"x30" should be big enough for what I want to do. In the future I could see wanting to do a curved part like the back of a chair. While reading some of the threads here one of the names that came up is Mega V. They have an option for a 4th axis. Also another option is homing switches.

I deal with stepper motors at work, mostly Vexta brand. Almost everything has opto home flags (I'm guessing what they call "homing switches" at work. So I'm familiar with what they are and how they work but the videos I've watched just had the operator place the router bit at the corners of the wood to set the position. With home flags would you just make two fixed blocks to push the wood against so you could skip the step of locating each corner?

I would prefer used to get more value for my money or a kit. I have a laptop I could dedicate to this but would need everything else including the software. I've read about converting JPEGS to G-code but what resolution would be needed for a JPEG to look smooth? Can a cnc do a sharp 90 degree corner or it it always going to have a 1/8" raduis? I'm sure I'll have more questions but I have time to study up.