Thread: Hand plane newbie

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hand plane newbie

I apologize first, I searched quickly and didn't find an answer. Could be my age, 36. Lol. Normally I am in the all things spinning section but recently got commissioned by the wife build a hood above the stove and a 9'x5'x2" solid walnut island top.

Background. Hands planes, I am new to them. I inherited numerous planes from the old man, 2 that are 6" long, 2 that are like 7" long with the handle on the front (most are Stanley frogs or irons but no name on the plane itself), a 9" Stanley and a behemoth No 6, 18" Bailey (cast on the plane in front of the front handle) /Stanley (on the frog).

I have watched hours of Rob Cosman and similar, bought the right stones, know they are sharp and can get respectable shavings.

To the point, I can't figure out which direction is the right way to go when face planning. One way seams to give me smooth and shiny, the other is smooth and dull. There biggest confusion is that I may have to switch direction based on the grain of the wood on the same face.

Which is the desired result? Most of my stuff is planed smooth and ready for finish but depending on the lighting you can see the direction I planed. Will that matter during finishing? I plan on 3 coats of mineral oil for the large island for nice finish and easy maintenance.

I specifically planed this board to get this result to highlight my question. It is smooth to the touch but you can see the difference in the middle.1601696412412551772357356227704.jpg

Will this matter during finishing?

When the face grain changes direction and I have to switch direction to get the smooth and shiny look it some times ends up with some gouges in the wood from the abrupt changes in grain. Is this normal?

Insight anyone? Or is it not that simple?
    Last edited by Chance Raser; 10-03-2020 at 1:38 AM.