Hi all
Hope everyone had a good 4th.
I picked up a 1-1/2" wood skew rabbet from eBay. I have never used a rabbet plane or even handled one. But it looked to be in good condition and for $19 shipped I was willing to try. Anyways it arrived looking good. The right side is slight cupped (hollow long the length) but not bad. Anyways my excitement overcame me and I lapped the bottom flat and squarish to the right side,made a new wedge and sharpened up the iron and went to work.... I watched a number of YouTube videos and am not sure what I have wrong , but basically instead of continuing to create a groove or rabbet and keeping the shoulder.it Continues to cut a new shoulder and or a stepped shoulder as it goes down. I adjusted the iron to just microscopically proud from the side to way to much and I continue to get the same result. Everytime I start the cut, it is just removing a tiny bit from the shoulder / wall. The skew isn't exact to the mortise angle, but it is very close.
What am I doing wrong? At this point I'm just thinking that maybe I should've invested in fillister instead.
Thanks in advance.
Michael