Thread: Troubles replacing arbor bearings 1979 Powermatic 66

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Troubles replacing arbor bearings 1979 Powermatic 66

I've finally started refurbishing an old table saw I picked up a few years ago. New arbor bearings are on the way but I'm having some problems pulling the current ones off the arbor and also have a few questions. I'll just number these to keep the post semi organized:

1. The woodruff key is stuck. I've applied PB Blaster a half dozen times a day for the past 4 days. I've also tried a blow torch (and cool) 5-6 times; even left it overnight in a freezer. I've tried pulling it out with different styles of pliers, tapping it out with flat head screw drivers, and leveraging it with a metal bar while gripping it with pliers. There's not enough material showing to drill a hole through it (wire and pull). The only movement its made comes from tapping one end with a small hammer which raises the opposite end, and disproves my belief in invisible welds. I've gone back and forth with this to see if it will grow looser but so far it has not.

2. Removing the old arbor bearings I've already tapped them a few times with a hammer and they are not moving down the shaft toward the key. Suggestions are welcome.

3. Bearing Spacer. It seemed odd to me that the spacer between the two bearings just flops around loosely with an internal diameter much larger than the arbor shaft. I referenced the parts manual I had and noticed the diagram showed an "inner bearing spacer". My actual arbor is sitting on top of that diagram. But I also found a second parts manual that appears to be from the 1980s (see image of that manual) that shows a "wavy washer" and "retainer ring" in lieu of an inner bearing spacer. It doesn't look like I have either of those on my arbor shaft. Let me add that I don't know the history of these bearings. The one on the blade side of the spacer is toast (before I torched the key) and so I am somewhat concerned about the loose spacer.

IMG_2864.jpgIMG_2856.jpgScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 12.41.55 PM.png
    Last edited by Patrick Curry; 06-03-2020 at 1:03 PM.