Like many hand tool woodworker's I obsess about all my cutting tools – need to have all the appropriate types and ensure their super sharp. However, there are some seemingly "pedestrian" things that are essential in my shop:

Sandpaper: I confess I have a snobby preference for "hand planed" surfaces – come on for me that's one of the essences of hand tool woodworking a shimmering surface fresh off the sharp plane blade. That said, when it comes to breaking sharp edges, smoothing over imperfections, etc. I couldn't do without 220 grit sandpaper.

Super Glue: I am a novice Carver and in my feeble attempts I frequently break off pieces of the carving in a futile effort to shape them. Super Glue is magic mistake eraser – a couple drops and some pressure and the broken pieces is fixed like new.

Putty knife/toothpicks:
I'd like to think all my joinery is perfect and mating surfaces fit 100% correctly. However my lack of self-confidence that that's correct means I typically use more glue than I need. Putty knife and toothpicks are great for cleaning up the squeeze out of excess glue.

Masking tape: because I lack confidence in the accuracy my joinery, I hope to compensate with clamp pressure during glue up to make everything look okay. When it comes to irregularly shaped pieces that defy clamping geometry, like gluing a replacement piece to a broken top horn of a handsaw, masking tape is a lifesaver – allows you to create the appropriate clamping pressure/geometry on irregular pieces. Bonus, as I am old and fat, my skin is increasingly thin and vulnerable. As a consequence I regularly get small cuts on hand/fingers that create unhelpful bloodstains on the work piece. Masking tape is a fantastic shop "bandage" - Readily available, super sticky and typically falls off about the same time the cut is healed.

Spray cans: I hate finishing. In my experience only bad things can happen that jeopardize the hundreds of hours of work you invest in the project. Spray cans are awesome! There is no brushes to clean, it's easy to apply multiple multiple thin coats to irregularly shaped objects and you don't even have to get your hands dirty!

What are the essential elements of your shop you can't live without?

Thanks, Mike