Thread: Veritas marking gauge feedback?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Veritas marking gauge feedback?

It's too late, because I've been seduced by Lee Valley's free shipping that runs out in about an hour, but I'd love to hear comments from folks here who have used the Veritas marking gauges.

They have too many choices:
    • Standard wheel marking gauge: $36.50
    • Micro-adjust wheel marking gauge with no gradations: $41.50
    • Micro-adjust wheel marking gauge with gradations: $44.50
    • Micro-adjust wheel marking gauge (no gradations): no kidding, the same exact name as the two previous models above: $53.50

They claim that the last product of the four listed above is some sort of culmination of their design continuum: "draws on two decades of manufacturing experience, with many refinements and subtle improvements over our previous gauges."

Subtle indeed. It seems to boil down to these three feature differences:
    • fine-tuning adjustment: not entirely new, but seems to be enhanced with a fine-pitch thread
    • locking knobs are mentioned, but aren't these also found on the others?
    • eccentric brass face/fence surface: OK, this seems like a good idea for some reason

That seems to be the difference. I suspect it's enough to go with the high-priced model.

Glen Drake's entry level Tite-Mark, which I'm sure is an outstanding tool (I've met him, and he's a stand-up guy), goes for $89. It features an A2 steel cutter wheel compared with the hardened steel wheel on the Veritas. But for five bucks you can get a replacement cutter for the Veritas, so...

Here I go. I'm buying the Veritas Top Shelf version in a few minutes. Must...buy...when...free...shipping... But I'd still love to hear your experiences with these and others.

By the way, I've had a Marples/Crown-style pin-cutter marking/mortising gauge for like 15 years, and I'm recently getting a little happier with the sharp edge I'm grinding onto its pins, but they're still pins, and I long for something that will handle cross grain more elegantly. Hence the wheel-type.

Let the controversy ensue.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-13-2019 at 11:26 PM.