I feel kinda silly as a woodworker asking this question, but for my first real workbench would I be better off buying a Sjobergs or building my own? In the past I have used 3/4 plywood on 2x4 frames and they work, but I would like something beefier.

Now obviously this won't be my one and only bench for the rest of my life, but my thought process was should I buy a bench and figure out what I like and what I don't like or should I build a bench and experiment.

If I were to build one, I would most likely use laminated 2x4's and plane the top flat, and I would have to figure out what vises to use and where to put them. I would drill dog holes in the top. I plan to use holdfasts and 3/4" dogs.

On the other hand, the bench I was looking at from jobergs is made from birch and has 2 vises and dogs included, and the holes are pre drilled

As far as price goes, I think it would be very close so it doesn't much sway me one way or the other.

I know there is lots of designs and Books on building beautiful benches, but I just need an economical work horse that I'm don't afraid to scratch or ding.

Thanks for the input!