Thread: I'm finally building my boat.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Here are the gudgeons and pintles. I polished one so you can see how it looks from the foundry next to how it looks after polishing. I used 120 grit on a belt sander to get the rough casting out. (Note: at the foundry they do very roughly grind them so they can see any flaws.) After that I used a random orbit sander progressing up to 320 grit, then hand sanded up to 2000, then buffed on a felt wheel. Note: the polished one isn’t finished- I skipped a few grits and went right to polishing just to see how easily it would polish. I will go back to the hand sanding and get those swirl scratches out and then repolish it.

Wood plug next to casting.

A841BB9D-43CF-4B5D-8CDF-E759F6C79618.jpg

Rough cast untouched as it comes from the foundry next to sanded to 320 grit.

89F67CC8-E491-4E49-87A1-20403F48722E.jpg

Rough cast again next to polished, but this was a quick test and I will sand more and repolish. I only polished this one side for the test- you can still see swirl marks. The other side not shown is still at 320 grit. Will work on these in the evenings after Petra goes to bed.

3C0E1896-C4C8-424C-8F4B-5D1FD68963E0.jpg

Casting these cost $250. They are huge and take a lot of metal.

Oh, I also bought all the hatches and storage bins, which were quite costly. This stuff adds up quick. I went with manufactured rather than making my own wood ones. They are at my warehouse so I can’t get pics right now.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 01-16-2019 at 3:28 PM.