Thread: Does Having Live Mics in Your Home Bother You?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't have any problem with cameras and recognition equipment used in public spaces. So equipment on a police car that reads license plates and automatically checks for warrants and stolen cars is fine with me. I don't have a problem with the data from those license scans being kept. If a crime is reported, that data can shed light on who was in the area when the crime was committed. Someone who is having an affair might not like that data getting to his/her spouse so access to that data should be controlled, perhaps with a court order.

Cameras in public spaces that can do face recognition is also fine with me. When I go out in public, I don't have any problem with being photographed. Those cameras can photograph criminal acts and deter those who might commit those acts. Again, access to that data should be controlled.

Cell phone cameras have brought a lot of "light" to acts that would have gone unpunished or unreported in the past. Look at the Rodney King beating that was videotaped. The cops would likely have said that he fell down while trying to escape.

If you're being tracked by your cell phone, it's likely because you allowed location tracking for one or more of your applications, even when you're not actively using the app. If you have Alexa in your home, it's because you brought it there.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-15-2019 at 5:57 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.