Thread: Shop Project: Sanding Station

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop Project: Sanding Station

I'm suddenly actually using my "stationary" sanders these days with the CNC stuff I'm producing so I got tired of having to pull a tool out and take up workstation space just to use it. A long time ago, I made a very nice mobile cabinet to support a Performax 22-44 drum sander that I owned for awhile, but after selling that little-used tool, the cabinet, minus the heavy top has been living under the right side extension of my slider and used for storage. This week, I decided to "bring it out into the open" and once again be used for sanding. This time, however, it's for my combo sander and my OSS.

Two tools he says? Yup. The big heavy combo unit up on top and the OSS on a pull out/up "appliance" lift. That way, I keep space utilization efficient as I just don't have a lot of extra available in the shop anymore with the CNC in place. I still have a little work to do with creating a way to collect dust from the 12" disc sander on the combo, but...that's going to be a nice CNC project.

Here are a few photos of how this got put together. The lift is from Revo and can handle up to 60 lbs supposedly. Other than the lift, everything else was available in the shop. BTW, the weight of the combo sander is required to balance the whole thing when the OSS is pulled out and up. Without the heavy cast iron unit up there, the cabinet can and will tip forward with the weight of the OSS hanging out front.

The starting point....
    IMG_3082.jpg

After using some scrap plywood to build out the sides so the mechanism would clear the face frame, I attached the lift, actually following the directions.
    IMG_3077.jpg IMG_3078.jpg

The surface for the OSS is a repurposed Ikea cabinet end trim panel reinforced with some scrap poplar
    IMG_3080.jpg IMG_3081.jpg

And the end result...
    IMG_3083.jpg IMG_3084.jpg

Since this unit is on high quality 4" double locking casters, I can easily reposition it anywhere to accommodate however I need to use shop space "in the moment". I'll update this thread when I get the dust extraction figured out for the whacko port on the bottom of the 12" disc.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-05-2018 at 5:05 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...