Thread: Paint and Finish Room

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paint and Finish Room

Hi all,

I'm about to begin construction of a spray booth/paint/finish room in my shop. It will be 12x16 ft in size and will have a storage area above for boxes, household items, etc. I have 12 ft high open trussed ceiling in my shop so I'll have a decent amount of vertical space up to the bottom of the roof in the storage area. The paint room will have one of the 16 ft walls running along an exterior wall of the shop with a window included in the room. I've bought all of the lumber for the framing and will be framing the walls with 2x4x8's 24" OC. The ceiling will be framed with 2x6x12's 16" OC to support the storage loft area above. I plan to use 5/8 OSB as the deck sheathing for the loft. I will sheath the walls with 1/2 drywall both externally and internally. I have some leftover insulation from my apartment build, so I plan to stuff the wall cavities with fiberglass to help with temperature control. I want the room to be as tight as I can reasonably make it.

Since I have a window to the outside of the building, I'm thinking about a decent exhaust fan/filter combination for that window, which I plan to fabricate. I should also plan on intake air flow either through one of the 2-3' doors (total 6' wide opening) or frame a filter opening through the wall. I don't plan on spraying combustibles in the booth. Mostly water borne finishes and at the most toxic end of the spectrum, Rustoleum oil based. Nothing with isocyanates, so I'm thinking explosion proof fans are not needed. Lighting will be from some florescent lights I culled from my old shop/house.

I have a budget of 1k for this room and am at the $800 mark in my planning to date.

Feel free to offer suggestions to make this space better or more useful, keeping in mind the budget aspect.

Thanks and I'll post pics as progress is made.

Here is where the room will go in the barn, the red rectangle represents one of the 16' walls that's 8' high.

paint room wall section.jpg

20181113_091424.jpg
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 11-14-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Add photos
    Jeff