I have a project coming up where I'm going to make some raised panels out of PVC sheets. That means a large diameter bit and nothing I currently own will do the job. So I'm looking for a 3hp router with variable speed. I'll spend most of it's time mounted to a table so a fixed base will make life easier to mount. But it would be nice to be able to have a plunge base. With both types of bases I could remove it from the fixed base, vs removing the base from the table, and slide it into a plunge base. Bosch sells a 15 amp router with both but they list it as 2.3hp. I'm not sure if it's just not as efficient of a motor as the other 15amp routers or if Bosch is being conservative in their rating. I do like the idea of a plastic case for when you need to take the tool with you to a job but it's not a deal breaker. If I had to buy one of the bases separately because it wasn't part of a kit that would be ok. I have an extra $350 built into the project for a new router so that's about what I would like to spend.

I'm also thinking about get a stand alone router table. If I do I would like something that isn't a bench top design. I kind of like the MLCS Heavyweight Router table (without the slider). One of the cons for the table is that it's difficult to install and remove the router. With two bases and the table tilting up it shouldn't be a problem. This is made by the Burt group and Grizzly sells a similar one but only the slider. The sliding table looks nice but I haven't found just how far it slides and I fear it'll only be useful for smaller pieces of wood.