Thread: Shop Layout - Please critique

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop Layout - Please critique

Finally, after 26 years in the basement, if it all comes together I’m moving upstairs. Attached is a rough, first draft shop layout and a run at how the ducting might go.

The shop is 38 x 26’. The big thing on the right is a whitewater dory, which I build along with guitars, mandolins, bamboo fly rods, and furniture. I hope to have a hoist over the boat if I can figure out the load requirements with trusses or I beam, and swing the cost. Ideally, I’ll have a loft over the left half of the shop for overhead lumber storage and maybe a boat or two, with a 10’ ceiling height underneath, and open ceiling to the scissor trusses on the right half. The dories weigh around 500# so not trivial load requirements for the ceiling joists. If the loft idea works out, then I will also have a trolley on a short I beam to roll the boats into the loft. I’ll use this same hoist to lift and roll boats over and to load them on trailers.

The tool and machine placements are just a shot to try to estimate dust collection drop locations. The center duct trunk is under the subfloor. The other two can be overhead (if I have a loft and therefore a ceiling) or can also be under the floor. The cyclone and compressor will be either in a shed attached to the shop on the left, or I’ll frame out a corner inside the shop. Haven’t decided yet.

The planer and belt sander are next to the large door b/c I’d rather just roll them outside than deal with dust / chip collection with those two. I may build a downdraft table into one of the wings of the chop saw station.

I tried to keep machine work on one side and assembly on the other. Also tried to keep biggest dust offenders, CNC, router table, SuperMax sander and table saws near DC cyclone.

Not sold on two table saw saw set up yet, but I have another Unisaw in basement unused and I’d like to leave both a rip and dado set up. Lots of dado work for hatches and decking of whitewater dories. The assembly table on casters serves as a longer outfeed if needed for gunwale stock, to help with infeed of sheet cutting, or can roll into boat spot when there’s nothing there.

I don’t have a shaper or CNC, but just planing ahead .

Finally, in the upper right corner is a 4’ deep by 8’ tall bin for vertical storage of plywood. I use a lot of marine hydrotek Meranti. I might eliminate this if I have a loft.

Please give me you comments and criticisms.

Thx. Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 04-17-2018 at 6:58 AM.