I have an 18" Jet bandsaw that I use constantly and wouldn't want to be without, but I've been thinking of getting a small bandsaw (9 or 10", maybe) that I could use just for curved cuts. I build musical instruments, mainly banjos and fiddles, and I am often shifting back and forth between ripping/resawing kinds of work and cutting curves with a 1" radius or so. Changing blades that often would not be practical so I keep a 1/2" blade in the Jet at all times and just cut a wider kerf on tight curves, but it would be much nicer to have a small saw with a 1/4" or smaller blade to do those curved cuts more neatly. I use the scroll saw for some things now but it's very limited in what it can do.

My first bandsaw was a 3 wheel 10" Delta that threw the blade frequently because the plastic drive wheel had a major wobble. I got that at the dump in the "shop and drop" area for $3 when I was 14 or so, and had it for several years but could never get it to be dependable. Then I had a 10" 2 wheel Montgomery Ward bandsaw that I got for $5 at an auction without a motor, I did get it running but the table support was wonky and it had a lot of vibration that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Both of those saws have been long since sold for what they'd fetch, and I'm hoping I can find something good that I can keep and use long term.

I am open to old or new, if anyone can advise me what models to seek out or avoid. I'd want 3" depth of cut for cutting out pegheads on a sled, and the ability to cut through at least 2-1/4" of moderately dense hardwoods, maple, walnut, cherry etc without stalling the motor. I've been looking at the new Grizzly 9" saw, and at some recent Craftsman models. I wouldn't need a rip fence or miter gauge, anything like that would be done on the big saw. I'll be very grateful for any advice.
Zach