This is my first post to the forum, although I've been a lurker for the past several months. I've been a hobby fabricator and racecar builder for several years, however recently I've started to develop more interest in adding wood working.

I posted a few previous (non-wood projects) below, my golf cart, car, and mobile tool cart

I recently moved from the DC area to Carlisle PA. My new house came with a decently sized basement room that I think is suitable for a wood working shop. I'm still acquiring tools, but I'm a 'jump straight in the deep end' kind of person so I'd like to develop a layout that will work as I continue to acquire equipment.

What I have.
> DJ-20 jointer
> benchtop planer
> Delta stand-up drill press
> contractors table saw
> DeWalt 12 CSMS

Near term acquisitions (actively searching now)
> Cabinet saw (size to be determined)
> Dust collection system
> router table?

Eventually (months, not years)
> bandsaw

The workshop was originally two rooms. I've started by removing the longer of the two dividing walls, which I originally thought might be enough. I built a simple sketchup model of the workshop. I put a full link to the model below, along with the screenshot. You can see unfortunately there's a support column right in the middle of the space that I'll have to work around. The right wall of the shop contains a built-in cabinet (lower right) and built-in shelves (upper right)

The bench on the lower wall can be moved or removed as it's free standing, however the one on the left wall is built in (and really nice actually)

I'm so new to the hobby I'm certain there's layout things that I'll completely miss if I go about this in the naive manner so I was hoping to ask for some advice. I've been searching through the history, but of course, every shop and equipment collection is a little bit differently. The layout below is just me attempting to fit anything, and I'm sure, far from ideal.
I'm looking forward to being a member here and growing as a woodworker.

I have a first project in mind. I acquired 7 8/4 quartersawn red oak boards that I'd like to use for a tabletop. Probably a separate thread will follow.

thanks!

Duncan

Workshop.jpgcargolfcart.jpgpitcart.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../WorkShop1.skp