So I'm just getting ready to build the tail vise for my bench (maybe a week or two) from the veritas metal hardware (the same thing that Chris Griggs used for his workbench 2.0). I think I've finally figured out how to put that together and it is clear that I'll be dovetailing a pretty thick piece for the front. I think it may be "deeper" than a normal dovetail saw will reach. So that means a deeper saw, like a carcass saw - something that has a something more than 2" under the back. However, in looking at the carcass saws, the LN are all filed crosscut. I could order one from Bad Axe that is rip or their hybrid filing, but that is about 1.8x the cost of the LN saw. The veritas "molded spine" backsaws are the least expensive of the bunch and they have a rip option, but they look a bit weird and I'm a bit unsure that I'll like them.

I don't have anything to compare it to as my only backsaw at this point is a (really fantastic) Bad Axe sash saw that I picked up for some large tenons at a show where I was chatting with Mark about some things he was working on and I had a bonus burning a hole in my pocket. I hate asking for opinions on these things since what you like is what you like and I may like something different, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Go with the Veritas and if I hate it chalk it up to an $80 learning experience? Keep saving my pennies (lots and lots of pennies) for the Bad Axe? Someone have another vendor that I should check out?

Jeff.