Hand size is a minor interest to me because it dictates the size of a handle on a plane if you're making one for someone how how large the handle must be if you're buying a used one.

I have fairly small hands, 3.5 inches across the web, which means that for the most part, i can use almost anything that I can find. My jointer handle has 4 inches under the handle, which technically is a little bit too large for me, but it's actually very comfortable to use, more so than a handle that is a close fit.

I have seen women say that their hand across (right below the knuckles) is 2.75 inches.

But the biggest I've seen so far is the guy who got me into woodworking, who is a fellow who otherwise doesn't need to have large hands for any reason (he's an engineer), has a hand web that is 4.75 inches across. I asked him that because I told him I'd build him a try plane.

I do recall that before I had tools (he's got the typical woodworking characteristics of an engineer), he had all kinds of fixtures set up in his shop for power tools and my hands were never big enough to use the fixtures and hold the work pieces. He always had a great time with that (I won't repeat anything that we otherwise say to each other, there is no bottom level of respectability to our humor or derision of each other).

I told him I'd build him a double iron try plane that I was sure he wouldn't be able to use properly, anyway, and that would collect dust once he figured out that he couldn't set the cap iron and get the plane set both at the same time. (aren't i nice? )

Anyway, though. 4.75 inches across below the knuckles...wow! That's going to make for a very odd looking plane. And I thought my scaled up 4.25 inch tall handle (with 4 inches under the horn for hand room) looked fat in the JT brown pattern....His handle's going to have to be another inch.

Anyone with bigger or smaller hands than that?