Thread: Tough spots and a 401K

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tough spots and a 401K

I used to make about $20 per hour, and we live simply. Basically we were rich; if we saw something we wanted we could buy it. My job was eliminated and with no certificate or degree, today's market is tough. In a month I found a job that I love but only pays about 60% of my other job. Since we live simply, we are making it. My wife now has a full time position as a bank teller which really is a low paying job for as nice as they have to dress. We have a little credit card debt now, about $1200, and just had to borrow $700 to replace the water pump on my car. To me it is awful tempting to remove some cash from my 401K and pay off the cards and the water pump. My wife says if we just buy what we need we will be okay. What do you think? I do not have a lot of money in the 401K but am now adding to it and it is in good hands, making some money. We are able to buy a premade pizza on Friday nights from Meijer, really pretty good, and we are subscribed to Netflix so we are not really in bad shape but a night at the movies or out on the town is out of the question. We have it pretty good but the tightness of our finances is a burden. The credit card debt is mostly from repairs on our Saturn Vue and my daughters High School correspondence course, we have one more year of her schooling and we got rid of the Vue. So do you remove money from the 401K or do you just keep plugging away?

I also have a nice Powermatic shaper I could probably get about $800 for but would then never be able to replace, what are your thoughts on selling good tools?
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 09-06-2014 at 5:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)