I think that just about all of us can remember someone who influenced us the most in our woodturning hobby. I had been turning on my own for many years before I ever met another turner, so in my early years I was influenced only by my own fascination with making things round.

I can remember in about 1979 an article in Fine Woodworking about David Ellsworth and his thin-walled, small opening hollowforms. I saw those photos and vowed that someday I would be able to do that. I was delighted when at the first AAW symposium in 1987, David critiqued one of my HF's.

After starting woodturning as a teenager in 1936, I never saw another turner at the lathe until about 1983, when Dale Nish did a demo at a wood store in Seattle. First time I'd ever seen a bowl gouge. I don't think that anyone else in the audience had either. What an eye popping sight to see those curls of wood flying from Dale's tool. Since then Dale has become a good friend.

Rude Osolnik became a good friend and influenced my turning a lot back in the late 80's. He was teaching at the traveling wood show and stayed with me and my wife when the show came to Seattle. We spent time together in my shop.

There have been others of course. Can you think of three people who have influenced your turning the most?

Wally