Thread: Starting a Laser Shop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Starting a Laser Shop

Hello Everyone, First time poster here.

BACKGROUND

So I have been thinking of starting a small side business for laser engraving/cutting if I purchase a Laser Engraving machine. I am a full time mechnical engineer working in Santa Barbara CA. While working here, on several occasions I have needed laser engraving services, but have had to outsource them to Los Angeles due to a lack of local services. Thats where I think I could carve out a niche for myself and pull local customers.

I have good design experience in Sheet metal design work in 3D programs such as solidworks, Pro Engineer, Corel Draw, and AutoCAD. I can create flat patterns for cutting on a sheet metal laser, or in my case it would be a laser engraver cutting wood or acrylic designs. Basically what I am trying to say is that I can design my own assemblies and make them myself if I had a laser engraver/cutter.

Laser product design work would be part of my company. Sheet metal design work would be outsourced to be fabricated, while any small acrylic work or engraving could be done by me on my laser.

ADVICE ON PRODUCTS/SERVICES

Initially though, I think I would have to start doing Job shop work, and in the downtime developing my own products. From what I have heard, I want to stay as far away from awards and trophies as possible and focus in on other idea. Here are some of my ideas,

1. Laser Engraved Skateboard Decks- burning graphics or engraving the wood designs
    2. Cutting Boards, wood/Marble - burning graphics
    3. RC Car/Boat parts - lasercutting the wood, anodized aluminum parts
    4. Puzzles-local tourists might buy nice Santa Barbara picture puzzles
    5. Wine Glasses/stoppers laser engraved for the local wineries
    6. Picture Tiles - Not photos of people but just good vector graphic themes
    7. My own line of coasters. I attached a picture of one I designed. It was originally designed for metal, but could easily be adapted to acrylic.
    8. Wedding Cards/puzzles

These are some of my ideas for products I want to work on, please comment if you know if any are good OR bad ideas. Any advice is welcomed.

THE LASER
    If I am to take the plunge, I have savings in the neighborhood of 10-15k for an engraver, but financing is a possibility too. I was originally looking at a New Machine, but a good year or two old machine would probably be a better bang for my buck.

My baseline is a new Universal 3.50 Desktop 24x12, 25W machine for about 13k, but I think I can get a better deal than this.

I will probably stick with epilog or Universal, although I have heard trotec and GCC make okay machines, and just flat out stay away from the rest of the Import brands.

One thing to think about is that if I would like to do skateboards or RC boats, i will need a 32 or 36in machine. They are of course is more cost, but allows some really cool products possibilities.

Any recommendations on an entry level laser, size, brands, wattage, would be greatly appreciated.

GETTING STARTED
    I have to rent some small space out somewhere, but lets say I can do that. What would be my best way to get started? I was thinking offering my laser for job shop work would be a good way to start, since I think the service is lacking in my area.

My other option is just start developing my products right off the bat and start trying to sell them. Basically, How would I get started, and what should I focus on. I will be starting this part time, so the amount of time I can work on the laser is limited, but design work can be done from home.

Sorry for the long post, but I could use some help from the community. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russell Ludwick; 09-03-2010 at 6:49 PM.