Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Jet the best clamps?

Blog Entries

Question Are Jet the best clamps?

I am considering buying some more clamps. I've looked at several threads & it seems that Jet clamps are the best.
    Would you agree?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I've got Stanley and Jet clamps and prefer the Jets. The Jet clamps have markings in 1-inch increments along the bar...a simple feature but very handy. I've handled the Woodcraft, Besseys, and Pittsburg clamps from HF, and prefer the Jets. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-24-2008 at 11:32 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

if you are talking about the parallel clams. i have a number of them and love them. the produce even pressure and keep things pretty square. I am planning to get more in the near future. i would absolutely recommend them

enjoy,
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Yeah, the JETs are very nice indeed. They also have a lifetime warranty!!! I had (2) 24" clamps, 12 mos. old each, that would no longer grip the bar. It was not glue, I have yet to figure out exactly what happened. I have 4 other JET parallels that continue to work fine - but I digress. I called JET and explained the issue and they sent me 2 new clamps. No request to see receipt or even return the non-performing clamps. That, my friends, is great customer service.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Buy yourself some Wetzler clamps and you won't need a warranty. I can pretty much guarantee you'll never break one and they're not much more $ than the rest, (Jet, Bessey etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Buy yourself some Wetzler clamps and you won't need a warranty. I can pretty much guarantee you'll never break one and they're not much more $ than the rest, (Jet, Bessey etc).
    Does Wetzler make a parallel clamp?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I've been keeping an eye open on Jet clamps to see when the 4 pack goes on sale, but hasn't happened in the last few months
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

There are no parallel clamps listed on the Wetzler website.

"Best" is a relative term. I use Bessey K-Bodies and have never been disappointed. I'd probably be just as happy with the Jet or Jorgie or whatever in this particular class of clamp. The Jets, however, have been getting good comments, so you should try some to see how they work for you. Start with four. If they meet your expectations, buy more as the need occurs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have some Rockler pipe clamps, Wetzler F clamps, and Jet parallel clamps, and Irwin Kwick clamps 12" and 24" (heavier blue and silver clamps).

The Kwick clamps get the most use but for substantial glue ups I'll choose the other three depending on application. The Wetzler clamps are not marketed very well but they are an amazing old school hand tool that I would purchase before the Jets. They're close in price. There are circumstances where the Jets are superior and having a few is nice.

Vic

For 3/4" pipe clamps (my most-used type of clamp) I like the HF jobbies.

For $3.50 each on sale plus $7 for a 4' Borg pipe, that's less than the price of the Pony brand without the pipes. And they seem to work as well.

All Bessey in my shop.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I bought two sets the last time the Jet clamps were on sale, but didn't open and use until last week. Love 'em! Waiting for them to go on sale again to grab at least two more sets.

I have all Jet parallels. I have used all the other brands in previous work. I prefer the Jets in my home shop. If you buy Jets or Besseys, get the Bessey clamp extender. It works with the Jets also. They allow you to make 2 shorter clamps into one longer one. Works great with the Jets.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12497
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 04-24-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

"Does Wetzler make a parallel clamp?"

As already answered they do not make what some refer to as a "parallel" bar clamp. But the poster asked about the best clamps and I would certainly say out of the brands listed so far, they are the best at what they do make.
    I've got a rack full of Bessey's in different syles and sizes, and a handful of Wetzlers, Hartford's (no longer in business) and some beefy Jorgie bar clamps, along with all the other types of clamps one collects. I have no doubt that the older all steel clamps will outlast my newer Bessey's. I still use the Bessey's all the time though, as they are better suited for some applications. It just depends on what your doing at the time.
    In short, you can never have too many clamps, whatever the brand name is.
    Of course that's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it
    JeffD