Thread: How to calculate the projection as a function of bevel angle for LN Honing Guide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thomas, it needs to be said that the absolute angle of the bevel is relatively unimportant. You need just to be in the ball park (i.e. close). There are no Bevel Police coming to check your angles. What is most important is repeatability, that is, being able to return to the same setting (on your guide) each time you sharpen. Calculating angles is a waste of energy. Get it close (digital box) and set a projection stop. Done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thomas, it needs to be said that the absolute angle of the bevel is relatively unimportant. You need just to be in the ball park (i.e. close). There are no Bevel Police coming to check your angles. What is most important is repeatability, that is, being able to return to the same setting (on your guide) each time you sharpen. Calculating angles is a waste of energy. Get it close (digital box) and set a projection stop. Done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, I solved a woodworking math problem. It was not a hard problem. I thought the work was interesting, useful, and original so I shared it here. I still feel that way. The energy is small. The accuracy is great. Give it a try.

Tom, much appreciated. Thank you. Patrick

Blog Entries
    An Eclipse style guide was given to me and is used occasionally. It has the projections for a few angles embossed on the siide.

For a shop rigged guide a much easier way was found.

Shop Made Honing Sharpening Guide.jpg

It was easier to align the angle on a piece of tile by using the bevel already on the blade.

The exact angle of a blade never stopped it from cutting if it was off by a degree or two.

Sometimes it is better to forget about all the calculations and permutations and just get the job done.

There are advantages to being lazy.

jtk

Whenever there is a hard job to be done I assign it to a lazy man; he is sure to find an easy way of doing it.
    — Frank B. Gilbreth Sr. (“Popular Science Monthly” in 1920)
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)