Thread: Thank you Derek Cohen...

Thank you Derek Cohen...

Derek:

Last week you described on the Forum the approach you took to cut mortises with the Domino. Your post allowed me to find a solution to a problem I had with 3 drawers I recently built.

The short story is that I made a mistake when calculating the clearance for the drawer length. As as result, I needed to remove 8mm in thickness from the back of the drawer fronts (to accomodate the front clips on underside mount slides). The drawers are assembled and finished. The worst case scenarios would have been to either make new boxes or shorten the existing ones (with some sweat equity). I then looked into using the router with the assistance of a relatively simple support jig to make things easy, safe and precise. Then, I remembered the Domino trick for the bed you built and looked into how to apply it for my project.

I am still amazed at how simple the task was. I referenced the cut from the outside of the drawer front, installed the 10mm cutter, adjusted the height, calculated the start and end positions of the cutter and put a couple of reference lines to guide the beginning and end of the cut. The plunge depth was tweaked with a 2.0mm shim on the front of the Domino.

All that was needed after the cut was completed was some quick chisel work to create a 90 degree corner, et voilà!

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

Jacques

Great to hear this, Jacque. I did not originate this method, and just passing on my experience.

The remainder of my build is on the Projects forum.

Regards from Perth

Derek