Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulation around pot lights?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Don't quote me but even if its a no contact can, if you convert it to LED then the lack of heat should make it safe.
    Many LED fixtures do indeed permit insulation contact.

-----

Robert, given you indicate that the two lights you're getting the air infiltration from are closest to the outside wall, that just backs up my suspicion, that the band joist area is not properly sealed and insulated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For all the trouble. Why not put "sealed" LED wafer lights in? It won't address the air movement in the bays but will help with IC (in contact) rated lights. And the little foam gasket and the lack of needing to touch them again (bulb replacement) will hopefully keep that gasket from allowing too much air through. Just an idea.

https://atkinsoninspection.com/how-t...g-is-ic-rated/

I second Daniel's suggestion. I don't know that there is a conversion that is non-IC, but check to make sure, and get the ones for either IC or non-IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    For all the trouble. Why not put "sealed" LED wafer lights in? It won't address the air movement in the bays but will help with IC (in contact) rated lights. And the little foam gasket and the lack of needing to touch them again (bulb replacement) will hopefully keep that gasket from allowing too much air through. Just an idea.
    Thanks Daniel, I picked up a couple yesterday and seems the best quick fix. I'll probably replace the rest of the lights in the kitchen as well.

After doing a little more research I've concluded I need to look at all the can lights in the house (we have many). I watched a video showing how much heat/cooling is lost through the older IC lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    Thanks Daniel, I picked up a couple yesterday and seems the best quick fix. I'll probably replace the rest of the lights in the kitchen as well.

After doing a little more research I've concluded I need to look at all the can lights in the house (we have many). I watched a video showing how much heat/cooling is lost through the older IC lights.
    You're welcome glad it helped! It's on my list too. I've learned a lot from Fine Homebuilding and Green Building Advisor (GBA) as to your air movement issues. GBA has a robust forum (like Sawmill Creek

The term "pot lights" has been peculiar to Canada, when I see it in a thread title usually the poster is Canadian.

I had never ever heard them called that, but figured out later what the topic was about.

My bad on calling them pot lights, not sure why I did. Can lights from now on.

I changed out 22 today. No draft, dust or anything coming through any of them. 21 to go in the basement. Now I have to figure out how to get to the ones in the vaulted ceilings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Robert, given you indicate that the two lights you're getting the air infiltration from are closest to the outside wall, that just backs up my suspicion, that the band joist area is not properly sealed and insulated.
    I agree completely. I've swapped out all the can lights on the main floor and none had a draft like those two. Fortunately it's a pretty small area, but man it made it cold in the kitchen. I still plan to look into getting some insulation in there, but good for now.

As lighting devices can lights are pretty clunky. They provide hot spots and unlit areas. There are relatively few good applications. Replacing them with something surface mounted and offering a wider distribution of light may do a better job. And you can insulate and patch the holes in the ceilings.

You seem to have an insulation problem. Mapping it would be the next step. One of those thermal imaging devices would be best but some kind of contact pyrometer could get it done. I don't recommend using your tongue, it's especially bad to get it stuck to the ceiling.

Never heard them called pot lights, always can lights. I would replace the darn things with the new sealed LED recessed lights. lots brighter, less electric, never need to change bulbs and put out very little heat, so insulate away. Our new house was built when contractors here were just changing over. I bought the sealed LED recessed lights for the wrap around porch for the contractor to install. because they are sealed, the moisture doesn't affect them.