Hi everyone! One of our shop lasers (Trotec Speedy 300) is having some very peculiar difficulties. Long story short is that it will absolutely not vector cut the letter 'M' which is stopping several raised-letter ADA jobs in their tracks. So far 'M' is the only letter where this is an issue. All other letters and numbers will cut perfectly fine. The laser will do it's thing, start the 'M' in the bottom left, and by the time it gets to the top right it will stop in place for a few seconds before sending out the 'Job Complete' beep. If there are any letters that need to be engraved after the 'M', it's as if the machine completely forgets about them, and it treats the 'M' as the end of the line. Other than not recognizing when a rotary attachment is hooked up (which we are currently trying to work with Trotec to figure out), everything else about the laser works fine as far as we've encountered.

We've tried engraving as text, and converting everything to curves in CorelDraw before importing into Ruby, but no dice. Lowering the speed and removing other letters will get the laser to cut further along the outline of the 'M', but still not all the way. Perhaps related, this same machine is one that was delivered with a nasty crack on one of the exterior fans (sales/installation rep got that replaced and said the rest looked fine). My thoughts are that something is damaged internally, but until we get a tech out we can't say for sure.

I'm going to reach out to Trotec Support (again), but figured I'd check if anyone else has had experience with similar issues, or might be able to offer some insight. If for no other reason than to help preserve my dwindling sanity at this point.

Thanks!