Thread: Has anyone used the Router Technologies EX 2080 Xtreme Xtension Professional Router B

Has anyone used the Router Technologies EX 2080 Xtreme Xtension Professional Router B

http://www.amazon.com/Router-Technol...+router+collet

I have a Skil 1830 (inexpensive) router in a Bosch RA 1171 bench top router table (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1171-C.../dp/B000H14DLY). While I know it is not the best router and table, it works okay for me at this time. However, it is a pain to change the bits as you have to hold in a push lever and then use a wrench and it is difficult to reach. If this would work with my current router and table, it would be much easier. So, if you have any experience I would like to hear about it. While I wouldn't mind a nicer router and table I don't have the money for that at this time. Saving up for some Festools.

I have this bit extender in my router table with a Hitachi router and the router raiser to adjust the router up and down. I love the Router Raiser but not the extender.

First of all let me say I purchased the extender from Amazon and tried to contact the manufacturer many times to discuss the fact it is too long. NEVER COULD GET A REPLY.For that reason I say STAY AWAY.

As for the extender it is too long to use many bits. I wanted to contact the company to find out if I could shorten it and how. Having gotten no response I put it in my lathe and cut about 1/2 the shank off. It now is workable with most of my 1/4 bits but for any of the longer 1/2" bits I have to remove the extender.
    It may be that I am not able to lower the router enough but I couldn't get a hold of anyone to tell me.
    There are others on the market I would look at.

Works Great For Me

I have been using the Xtreme Xtention in a Hitachi M12V2 Router for about 5 years without a problem. You may read threads warning of vibration, but it has worked great for me. It has never loosened in the router's 1/2" collet, although I do check it occasionally. A router bit has never loosened when used in the Xtention's collet. It allows easy over the table bit changes. As with any tool, pay attention and use correctly. Call Router Technologies and ask them about your application.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to hijack the thread....
    Fred, Pete - I have a M12V2 in my router table too. I've always dealt with bending down and using the stock black handle to raise/lower the bit. Do you both use a router raizer? I'm thinking about getting one.

I used one for a while in my router table with the original Hitachi M2V router. It worked but I didn't like the additional vibration and noise it produced swinging the larger bits. I also agree with fRED that the shaft is too long. I still have it and would be willing to part with it for a much smaller sum than Amazon. PM me if interested.

I now use a Musclechuck brand quick change collet on my CNC router if that is the feature you are wanting.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 11-14-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Fred, Pete - I have a M12V2 in my router table too. I've always dealt with bending down and using the stock black handle to raise/lower the bit. Do you both use a router raizer? I'm thinking about getting one.
    I use a Router Raizer with my M12V (M12V2 predecessor) in my router table and I have been 100% satisfied. It provides the same functionality as a conventional router lift but is slightly less convenient to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My router is mounted in a Woodpeckers Unilift. I got it on sale years ago. Rock solid and mounts directly to the M12V2. More expensive than the Router Raizer. I don't think Woodpeckers offers them any longer.

I wrecked a set of bearings with it in a m12vc in my cnc when I ran it with a router. Now that machine ran more than 100 hours so who knows but i got twice that out of the next m12vc without it. Now i use a spindle and have never used it. I gave mine away i think. Ymmv.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I use one in a jessum router lift with an old 3 1/2 HP pre-borg ryobi router. Pretty similar to the big hitachi plunge routers. Its always been fine for me, but I don't chuck up monster bits in this. For instance when I used to run cope and stick sets the extension came out, as they were already pushing it on height IMO. The collet has always worked well, I like that it comes above my table and has an easy allen wrench tightening mechanism, I've never had a bit slip, pretty sure there is an o-ring in there so bits don't bottom out and loosen.

I'd be careful using that extension on a light duty router, it give you the potential to set up a really dangerous cut that could easily damage the router. Its going to naturally increase the stress on the bearings and the machines collet given the new higher fulcrum it creates, so use your best judgement. If it sounds like the router is screaming in pain and chattering....lay off it. The nut that holds the wood to the table must remain tight at all times!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Hi,

I am 6 ( six ) years too late... but this is my newbie review of it, I have only got this tool on 27/Feb/2021. Thank you.