Thread: Tracksaw blade not staying perpendicular to surface during cut

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tracksaw blade not staying perpendicular to surface during cut

Hi all, I recently bought a track saw (Mafell MT55cc) for breaking down sheet goods and jointing edges. The cuts start perpendicular, but don't stay that way over the duration of the cut.

I have been testing by cutting 2' lengths of half inch MDF. I'm using the only lightly used (maybe 50 cuts) stock 48 tooth blade that came with the saw, a 62" rail, and have supported the rail on both ends and clamped it to my workbench.

• The cut starts at 90 degrees (I've used the set screws on the bottom to tweak)
    • By the time the saw reaches the middle of the cut, it's 1-2 degrees off (to the left, i.e. -1 degree)
    • When the saw reaches the end of the board it takes a chunk out of the last half inch or so. But only the last half inch, consistently.

end-terrible.jpg
    Here's a shot of the very end of the cut. You can see it's slightly off square, and the extra material that is getting removed. You can also see the splinter guard strip on the track looks slightly narrower in that spot where it met the end of the board.

I have tried:
    • Continuing the cut (i.e. keeping the saw plunged and spinning) well past the end of the board
    • Snugging the saw to the track
    • Snugging the bevel lock knob
    • Removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the blade nice and snug.
    • Pressing the saw firmly down during the cut
    • Only pushing the saw from behind during the cut
    • Pushing slowly and pushing quickly
    • Everything else recommended in this post
    • Cutting a smaller piece with my shorter track

But this happens every single time regardless of what I change. The floor of my shop is now a heap of 1" slightly off square MDF test cuts

I'd like to use this saw for very precise cuts that are ready for screws and/or glue but obviously can't in this state. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aaron Karp; 03-25-2021 at 10:53 AM.