Hi everyone,

I want to start by thanking everyone for being so helpful so far, for such a new member I have been definitely been taking advantage of this forum. as someone who lives in a non woodworker friendly country, this forum has been an incredible resource.

OK here it goes:

I am going to build a split Roubo benchtop 4" thick (or more, depending on what I can get out of the stock) and 62" long (small space).

At my disposal are the following tools: LN 62 LA jack, LN no.7 jointer, LN no. 4, and a 1980' Stanley 4 1/2 that I am tinkering around with. I have a rough panel saw, and a circular saw and a router (the kind that doesn't belong on a Neanderthal thread ).

the stock is hard maple, kiln dried 2" thick by 5.9" (15cm) which I can get to a max length of 3.5 meters/ 137"/11.4', and minimum length of 3meters/118"/9.8'

here are my questions:

1) considering I am going to choose the boards myself, what a is a reasonable yield per a board? how badly am I deluding myself by thinking that a 137" board can supply 2 62" boards for the laminate? What about one 62" board and one 32" for the legs? how would you approach maximizing the useful lumber?

2) the glue up: my approach right now is to edge joint one side, plane the faces flat, and then glue and clamp them in face lamination. I thought of using cauls with 1" wedges in the top as necessary to push boards of uneven height down and maintain a relatively flat edge on the jointed side. I will have some extra helping hands for this. once I have the 2 laminated slabs I figured I would plane the uneven side and thickness the two slabs roughly even. I am concerned about how long planing the boards will take me. I don't want to finish the boards, get ready for a glue up and find out that they have twisted or warped and need to be planed again.
- Any Idea how to prevent or minimize this?
- Is the caul and wedge thing feasible? I came up with it on my own, and have no idea if it will work
- how many clamps should I get for a 62" lamination (62" x 12" x ~4 1/2")?

it should be noted that this is my first hand plane project and I do plan to practice on scrap first but still, I don't expect amazing results from myself as a newbie.

Thanks a lot
Assaf