Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
What is broken on the soundboard? People often worry unnecessarily when they see a crack. It's common for a soundboard to crack which might not even affect the sound. A piano technician friend said repairing a soundboard is common. Replacing a sound board is not even out of the question.

But is it a true "upright grand" like the 100 year old Steinway (a quite tall upright, rare and expensive) or "just" an upright. I understand some makers marketed their upright pianos as upright grands but they still, by necessity, had the same upright mechanisms (and feel) and limited string length/soundboard size. I could try look it up if you have the maker and model number (should be inside).
All I know is what my parents have told me. The piano won't stay in tune for very long after being tuned which is assumed to be due to the cracked sound board.

The piano is much larger than other upright pianos I have seen. All I know is my parents said it is an upright grand piano. I probably won't be able to visit my parents for some time as they are in their early 70s and don't want visitors with COVID.