Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinets design / cut list software

Cabinets design / cut list software

All - what is the best free cabinet software along with cut list optimization software?

Don't know about iut being the best, but https://cutlistoptimizer.com/ is free and it works.

Ok that is great for the cut list for panels. What about actual cabinet drawings. I hear. About sketch up? Is that the best?

I use Fusion 360. For non-professionals it is free, and if you spend sometime learning to use parameters, you only have to design the first cabinet or two. Then you can just alter the parameters for other cabinet widths, heights or drawer layouts. There's a learning curve to that though.

Cabinet planner is a good program, It has a 30 day trial period and its only $60 to purchase.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

6. KCD Cabinet/Closet is great and a little more advanced than Cabinet Planner. I started out with CP and switched to KCD because of how much better quality the 3D renderings are. It's about $160/month but worth it if you're doing multiple kitchens a year.

So I found that drafting up my own from scratch and putting together my own cut list works and is easier than you think. I actually use power point to draw out my sketches and just build my cutlist is excel...

The freebie version of Sketchup is web only and isn’t great for creating shop drawings with dimensions, build details, etc. you get with the paid ones. You can actually get a lot accomplished without drawing anything using the Blum Process 32 manual. Build a parts list in Excel and plug everything into the above-mentioned online cutlist optimizer.

https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_ba...s32_041204.pdf

It's not specifically designed for woodworking, but I really like TinkerCAD. It's free, web based and pretty fast for both 2D & 3D. A cool feature is you can design something using multiple shapes and save that as a custom part that can be dropped into the current or any future design. I found it was very easy to learn and does acceptable 3C renderings.

I've used and like the web-based CutList Optimizer. But, went to use it this week and the web-based program is offline. All I get is a logo. Found one downloadable software that looks very similar called Cutting Optimization Pro. There's a trial period. After that it's 55 euro. It's probably worth it if you do a lot of projects. Hoping CutList Optimizer comes back online though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hill View Post
    I've used and like the web-based CutList Optimizer. But, went to use it this week and the web-based program is offline. All I get is a logo. Found one downloadable software that looks very similar called Cutting Optimization Pro. There's a trial period. After that it's 55 euro. It's probably worth it if you do a lot of projects. Hoping CutList Optimizer comes back online though.
    The link in the 2nd post works. At least it does from Chrome.

I'm in the middle of a set of built in cabinets and have had good results with Sketchup Make 2017 (the last free full client) plus the free CutList extension (that is downloaded from the Extension Warehouse within the program).

I was going to switch over to Autocad Fusion for this project but couldn't find a cutlist solution for it. This was disappointing because Sketchup seems to be going the way of the Dodo, and I could translate Autocad skills over to a future 3D printer. In Sketchup you just select the components that you want to include in the culist calculation.

2021-02-07 21_34_05-Living Room Built-Ins - Corner Blocks.skp - SketchUp Make 2017.jpg
    2021-02-07 21_33_07-Cut List v4.1.12 - Layout for Project_ Living Room Built-Ins - Corner Blocks.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2 View Post
    The link in the 2nd post works. At least it does from Chrome.
    Wierd. I couldn't get it to work at all. After seeing your post, I deleted all the site cookies and it worked. Thanks.

Does anyone use Solidworks for drawing cabinets?

I'm pretty computer literate, and I've tried some of the applications described above. I am also a hobby woodworker, not a pro. It took so much time to install and learn SolidWorks, for example, that it was counterproductive for me. I am only building one kitchen's worth of cabinets. I just drew everything on paper and made a cut list the old fashioned way. There are certainly advantages to using software, but paper & pencil got me in the shop building the cabinets sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Meinholz View Post
    Does anyone use Solidworks for drawing cabinets?
    Limited to masochists and people that are already fluent in Solidworks.