Thread: Twelve Fingers

Twelve Fingers

If we had 8 fingers instead of 10 we would not be wrestling with the metric system vs fractions. Why are there no fractions in metric?

Not sure but they would probably never seen much use in a base 8 number system.

The Brits gave us eggs and inches in dozens, probably to make parsing into thirds easy. Their old money was based on 12 parts also. Maybe 12 fingers would have been best.

I've used the decimal (base 10) inch system for 40 plus years as an Engineer and never felt myself wanting for the metric system. I memorized decimal equivalents long ago and just convert everything in my head. It makes it easy to do math on the fly too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have read that 12 fingers is actually a dominant genetic trait. Ther eis some small village in europe where most residents have 12 fingers and toes.
    'Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    metric system vs fractions.
    You can't compare the two. There's no one versus the other. Metric is a system of units. Fractions are a method of doing arithmetic. The system of units does not dictate how you add, subtract, multiply or divide.

Like Rob, I've used decimal arithmetic with inches for years. I also use binary fractional arithmetic in metric units, like 1/2 liter bottles of water or 3/4 liter bottles of wine. I have a ruler with 1/2 mm markings.

The choice of arithmetic is independent of the choice of units.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

From all my years in the machine shop environment, I just automatically work in decimals. Fractions get converted in my head without any real thought. I see 9/16" on the tape measure and think .563. Because of this, I still work primarily in Imperial units, though I have a metric rule that I use for certain processes like boring for European style hinges.

No fractions in metric?? I just cut some material 3-1/2 mm thick just the other day.

I converted fully to metric last year in the shop, after 40 years of metric in the lab and Imperial at home. My tired old brain couldn't be happier than to only have to think in one system that doesn't involve adding 3/64 to 7/16 and dividing by three. Now if I could just get the rest of the country to come along.

I began working in the medical field in 1976 and used metric at work and imperial at home since then. I convert fractions to decimal in my head on the fly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I've used the decimal (base 10) inch system for 40 plus years as an Engineer and never felt myself wanting for the metric system. I memorized decimal equivalents long ago and just convert everything in my head. It makes it easy to do math on the fly too.
    I'm not an engineer but, did go through two full fledged attempts by the U.S. to go metric during my school years. This left me pretty flexible and I convert on the fly in my head within an accuracy that allows me to do woodworking. Nearly 40 years working in octal and hex in my career field probably honed this internal conversion engine to some degree.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's just people not wanting change.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Finding my metric tape measure would be a hassle. There is a one meter metric zig-zag rule in the shop and there are a few metric 6" rules around the house and shop. (isn't that ironic, a 6" metric rule!)

The tape measure in my pocket is in inches/feet. Dozens of rules scattered between the house and shop are in inches. All but a few of my drill bits are sized in fractional or decimal inches. My automotive tools are blended with inch, metric and a few Whitworth.

There isn't any problem converting back and forth. The question is, what reason is there to change all my tooling?

The base 12 system likely came in to use when people were counting on their fingers and needed to go a little higher so they added their feet in to the calculation.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-29-2021 at 3:24 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You don't really have to measure anything in woodworking; A sharp knife and a story stick will get you as much accuracy as you need. You can apply any name you want to the space between to knife lines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    You don't really have to measure anything in woodworking; A sharp knife and a story stick will get you as much accuracy as you need. You can apply any name you want to the space between to knife lines.
    +1 on this.

Story stick and dividers is a higher form of math than imperial or metric measure.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    No fractions in metric?? I just cut some material 3-1/2 mm thick just the other day.

I converted fully to metric last year in the shop, after 40 years of metric in the lab and Imperial at home. My tired old brain couldn't be happier than to only have to think in one system that doesn't involve adding 3/64 to 7/16 and dividing by three. Now if I could just get the rest of the country to come along.
    Isn't that written 3,5mm?

At any rate, like you, I move to the big M a couple years ago for all my own work, but I do use decimal inches for some work I do for others because that's their specification. It doesn't matter to me as long as I refrain from having to do conversions, which, while not hard in this computer age, can lead to mistakes.

I also admit to occasionally counting on my fingers....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    5DA1E196-B113-4912-9273-48CCA65D7315.jpeg

The late great Hound Dog Taylor had six fingers on his left hand. I always wanted that- imagine the creative licks you could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    5DA1E196-B113-4912-9273-48CCA65D7315.jpeg

The late great Hound Dog Taylor had six fingers on his left hand. I always wanted that- imagine the creative licks you could do.
    ....especially given that 7-string guitars have become popular with some folks. That extra finger could come in handy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...