Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting tougher to stand for long periods of time

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    At this point, standing is easier than getting down low.
    Not in the reverse order, mind you.

Thanks and guess I am not alone here. There are some good advice written here so will try a few things. I too have a good chiropractor and he has helped me with my chronic back for many years. I needed him so bad this year. When the pandemic hit and they shut everything down here in march that is when my back decided to really go out of wack and I could not see him for 3 months. He kept telling me to walk and take warm showers and let water hit back to loosedn up and things like this but it was not helping. After I did get to see him he sent me for Xrays and found my 4th and 5 lumar vertabre out quite abit. He worked them back over a two week period and I was like new again. But seems everyday is a challenge with something new hurting.

As I said I have a couple of hobbys that can be relaxing and do not require standing. Scrollsawing and pen making but being I make my own blanks for pen making and other small objects I need to be at a saw and thus now find myself searching for a Byrnes mini tablesaw. Never thought I would want one but boy how life throws you a curve. Hoping to find a used one. too much for new ones. but in the mean time I try still cutting at the large saw. I do have inserts for my shoes. They were recommended by Chiropractor years ago. I guess we just try our best and keep going. Still love the smell of fresh cut wood in the shop.
    John T.

I have good anti-fatigue matts over most of the floor and wear shoes with inserts that have made a big difference. At this point, standing is easier than getting down low.
    Same here ^^^. I bought some rubber horse stall mats at the local Tractor Supply and have those around the work areas in my garage. Also, swear by aftermarket insoles. In my experience, anything "gel" is just hype. You want molded foam, like Superfeet or Sole. For sitting, I got one of those padded tops for the 5-gallon bucket and use a thick foam gardening pad for kneeling stuff.

When I was in my 20's, setting up stores for Petco, I used to be able to stand/kneel on concrete floors for 10-12 hours, no problem. I'm still in pretty good shape but kneeling on concrete sucks. One of the things I always notice during trade show setups is how much Advil the crew goes through. We're all popping them like candy.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

At this point, standing is easier than getting down low.
    What he said. I'm not having any issue at all with standing or walking.

Getting up after sitting for more than 30 minutes is something else altogether.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Yes. And as soon as you feel your brain and leg muscles are in sync, find a bathroom.

Sorry. Just being real.

What he said. I'm not having any issue at all with standing or walking.

Yea, and for "down low" I now keep one of those kneeling pads in my shop....it was originally intended for gardening, but has become essential for "on the floor" work in the shop and house, too. For gardening, I'm just bending over...that's easier than crawling around. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yea, and for "down low" I now keep one of those kneeling pads in my shop....it was originally intended for gardening, but has become essential for "on the floor" work in the shop and house, too. For gardening, I'm just bending over...that's easier than crawling around. LOL
    If you are talking about the ones with the bars on the sides, I think that was the best invention since sliced bread. I got one this past summer and use it all the time. I carry it in my truck. I need a couple more for around the house. Had to get it the other day when I had to work on the washer. Can not get up and down any more without grabbing onto something. Love this.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    If you are talking about the ones with the bars on the sides, I think that was the best invention since sliced bread. I got one this past summer and use it all the time. I carry it in my truck. I need a couple more for around the house. Had to get it the other day when I had to work on the washer. Can not get up and down any more without grabbing onto something. Love this.
    No, I just use the high-density pad. The kneeling thing with the bars turned out to be more cumbersome "for me", even though it provides handles to help folks stand up. I'm glad that extra support is helping you, John!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought my wife one of those pads with handles at Lowes in the concrete department. The solid plastic back lets it float over holes. The cats love to shred it. bigger heavier duty then the garden version for no more money.
    A old retired teacher told me the secret to two bad knees is alieve. Get the generic online or costco for way cheaper
    Bill D.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/QLT-by-Mars...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-06-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Yes. My tailbone is shot. I know that sounds odd - what, after all, do humans need tailbones for? But mine is an arthritic disaster zone. Doesn't bother when standing or walking, but 30 minutes sitting and I damned near need an engine hoist to get up again.

I used to buy all kinds of kneeling pads at local places like the big box stores. But the foam really deteriorates after a few months. And the dense ones that don't aren't much better than kneeling on a pine board. Then a couple of years ago I was at a neighbor's while a contractor was working on their outside A/C unit. I was impressed by the pad he was using and bought one. Didn't take long before I bought another. They come in different sizes and are a bit pricey but the best kneeling pad I've ever found. And for working outside on my lumpy ground they are great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Dremel table saw that I bought at Ernst Home Center back in the early 90's. It uses a 4" blade. I found accessories for it at Micro-Mark, a model and small tools specialty dealer. They have all kinds of small power tools, including a Microlux (house brand, I believe) tilting arbor table saw and various other tools. They're not cheap but they're pretty good quality.

I bought a 40 tooth carbide blade for my Dremel table saw from them. With that blade installed I was able to crosscut 3/4" red oak with the blade tilted to 45 degrees. It was slow but the cut was as smooth as glass. I got that saw out a couple of years ago for some reason and it still cuts like it did 25 years ago.

https://www.micromark.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgIluvD_BwE

I have a hip and both knees which bother me when I get up or down. I don't like chairs or stools that use a pneumatic cylinder as the they have been prone to fail. About 4 years ago I bought a non-adjustable metal stool with a hard top for use in my shop. Like someone else indicated, I find often just getting off my hip for less than a minute is a great relief from the pain.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-05-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I have a Dremel table saw that I bought at Ernst Home Center back in the early 90's. It uses a 4" blade. I found accessories for it at Micro-Mark, a model and small tools specialty dealer. They have all kinds of small power tools, including a Microlux (house brand, I believe) tilting arbor table saw and various other tools. They're not cheap but they're pretty good quality.

I bought a 40 tooth carbide blade for my Dremel table saw from them. With that blade installed I was able to crosscut 3/4" red oak with the blade tilted to 45 degrees. It was slow but the cut was as smooth as glass. I got that saw out a couple of years ago for some reason and it still cuts like it did 25 years ago.

https://www.micromark.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgIluvD_BwE
    Thanks will look into this too. Just need something to cut small blocks of wood for small projects.
    John T.

John, Oneway have a lathe that can convert from normal standing position to a position designed for the operator to be seated. Might be a good fit for you?

Regards, Rod.