Thread: Silly curiosity question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I have uncles that are identical twins, one is right handed and the other left handed. They used to get put in different classes in school so they wouldn't cause trouble. They figured out that they only had to study for half the tests and would each take the same test twice by switching shirts between classes. They are also both reasonably ambidextrous and would write with either hand. All went will until one brought his baseball glove in after recess and the teacher noticed it was for the wrong hand. Neither would admit how long they had been pulling the scheme but everyone suspected was the better part of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    I have uncles that are identical twins, one is right handed and the other left handed. They used to get put in different classes in school so they wouldn't cause trouble. They figured out that they only had to study for half the tests and would each take the same test twice by switching shirts between classes. They are also both reasonably ambidextrous and would write with either hand. All went will until one brought his baseball glove in after recess and the teacher noticed it was for the wrong hand. Neither would admit how long they had been pulling the scheme but everyone suspected was the better part of a year.
    No offence to you but gotta wonder about how they were taught right and wrong growing up if they thought this was ok to do.

I read that the wives of identical twins sometimes make them get distinguishing tattoos

I remember Alain Vigneault, former coach of the Vancouver Canucks admitted even after coaching the Sedin twins for several years he couldn't tell them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I remember Alain Vigneault, former coach of the Vancouver Canucks admitted even after coaching the Sedin twins for several years he couldn't tell them apart.
    He just held out their jerseys at the top of the stairs - and da boyz sorted it out.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...ks-of-all-time

There are two subjects in this thread that I have personal experience with - 1.) parental DNA chain 2.) identical twins

My brother and I are married to two sisters. He is two years older than me - our wives are two years apart (although reversed).

(Side note: We both have identical BS Aero E degrees from the same university. Our Masters degrees are also from the same university but in different fields. We both retired from the same company. We lived 4 miles apart - belonged to the same swim club and tennis club. We each have a son and a daughter. His are two years older than mine. The list goes on - my late mother would go through the whole list when talking to friends and would finish it with "They still don't get along with each other...")

Our sons do not look at all alike. They do, however, have similar interests and consider each other "best friends".

Our daughters also do not look alike. Their relationship would be best described as cordial.

My son and daughter-in-law have blessed us with three grandsons. The eldest is 8 years old, the other two are 5 1/2 year old twins. DNA testing has confirmed that the twins are identical.

I am a "converted" lefty; my daughter and daughter-in law are left-handed as well. All other parents/grandparents are right-handed.

All three boys are right-handed. The twins part their hair on the same side. (Sorry, Dave - no fingerprint data on the twins.)

2020 First day of school.JPG

And no, I can't tell the twins apart. The longer hair makes it even more difficult.
    Last edited by Bob Turkovich; 09-27-2020 at 8:10 PM.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    2020 First day of school.JPG

And no, I can't tell the twins apart. The longer hair makes it even more difficult.
    <<--Left twin's right eyebrow seems to have more of a sharp (^) arc to it, while
    -->> Right twin's right eyebrow seems to have more of smooth (͡ ) arc...

-but that could just be due to how they're smiling
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

No offence to you but gotta wonder about how they were taught right and wrong growing up if they thought this was ok to do.
    A case demonstrating how far both parents and coaches will go to win:
    Little League had a rule about the maximum number of innings a kid could pitch in a week (since changed to # of pitches).
    One team had a set of identical twins, Billy and Bob. Both pitched, but one, Billy, was better; the coach would often use him as a “closer” in the final innings. If Billy had used up his innings for the week he would come to the next game wearing Bob’s jersey.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    A case demonstrating how far both parents and coaches will go to win:
    Little League had a rule about the maximum number of innings a kid could pitch in a week (since changed to # of pitches).
    One team had a set of identical twins, Billy and Bob. Both pitched, but one, Billy, was better; the coach would often use him as a “closer” in the final innings. If Billy had used up his innings for the week he would come to the next game wearing Bob’s jersey.
    What that tells me is that coach should never be allowed anywhere near any playing field, hockey rink, etc. He doesn't understand the role of a coach in youth sports. Winning at any cost is totally unacceptable. Coaching youth sports is not about winning it's about building character, pushing your limits to achieve more than you thought you could, working together as a team, respecting the rules and your opponents.
    In addition to that, limits are there to protect the player from ruining his arm. When I was in my teens I umpired at a local ball diamond. There was one guy who was a great pitcher, his allstar team would play games against the next age group and he would strike out a dozen hitters in nine innings. By the time he was eligible to play in that next age group his arm was toast and the guy who used to be his catcher was pitching and he was catching. Problem was, he couldn't throw anyone out at second base.

Blog Entries
    Haha, none taken. I could follow that with the fact that they got in big trouble. They both got summer school and lots of extra chores on the farm after the initial punishment.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork