Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Input for Flooring for Shop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need Input for Flooring for Shop

Hello,
    We're just completing a renovation/expansion of my home shop and it's time to decide on the flooring. I was thinking of plywood over sleepers, but I'm having trouble finding plywood that looks decent. Hardwood plywood looks great, of course, but the top hardwood veneer is thin and this is for a shop with the usual heavy tools, etc. Construction grade plywood would work, but I was hoping for something a bit nicer.... What do folks think about 3/4 inch Baltic Birch (it's available near me in 4x8 sheets)... I think plywood, even Baltic Birch, would still be a lot less expensive than even discount solid 3/4 wood flooring.... Thoughts/experience of others would be most appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Izzy

Blog Entries
    I don't think I could put birch down for flooring. My vote would be for advantech.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I put down solid oak prefinished strip flooring. I was hoping it would stand up to heavy tools like the table saw and planer. Sadly it does not. Heavy tools leave tracks when rolled. I just have to limit the damage by moving infrequently. You might have to go to ipe ($$$) to have nice and tough enough for rolling heavy tools. Or go for really stationary, stationary tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I don't think I could put birch down for flooring. My vote would be for advantech.
    Just put down Advantech in the shop. Long story, it was the best cost\value by far. used the foam glue (great product) and tapcons. I do like the look too FWIW. I think it would look really nice with a clear poly on it. Haven't got that far yet though.
    Shop Floor.jpg
    Last edited by Daniel O'Neill; 09-21-2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Picture

I went with dricore. It was fast and relatively cheap (and doesn't require sleepers/vapor barrier). With that said, it's only up in the bench area of my shop, so there will be no heavy tools on mobile bases, ever.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I recently finished my shop addition and went with this sandwich:

* 5mm loose lay vinyl
    * 1-1/8" T&G subfloor
    * 2x4 sleepers on 12" centers

Moving from a basement shop I was also "feeling it" in my knees and ankles after a few hours so I sprung for the sleeper floor. I did retain a 10x20 slab area just in case I get something really beasltly!

I went with the loose-lay product for repairability; it does not click together. The disadvantage, as I've found out, is that it will slip & buckle under a heavy rolling load (400 lbs+). Just need to apply more rows of adhesive than the manufacturer recommends.

I second the recommendation for high quality work footwear.

There is no substitute for excellent foot support, regardless of flooring material, when you will be standing/walking for hours.

And the price of good footwear is a bargain compared to some flooring solutions.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Go run on concrete.
    Go run on asphalt.
    Go run on hard packed dirt.

You can feel the difference, easily, between all three (this is why you'll see many runners eschew the sidewalk in preference for the street btw). Shoes help, and you should wear good ones, but surface matters.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Good, supportive footwear is always a plus, but yes, surface matters when standing for long periods of time. My shoes are comfortable and I have most of my shop floor covered with anti-fatigue mats which helps a lot. But I'd love to have a wood/wood-product floor to make things even more comfortable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

BB is still thin veneer. Consider Advantek or get cheap oak strip flooring. Or use regular underpayment plywood and live with the rotsrty cut look and potential chipping of the veneer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can usually find pre-finished Click Lock engineered oak for just over $2 / sq ft. Install is floating so no sleepers required.

HD also has Traffic Master laminate for $1 - .75 / sq ft that looks decent. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...=inspirational

Concrete or wood floor?
    I use rubber mats over concrete just in areas that I stand at often.

LVT? Some of the premium versions have a backer that may be softer and make it easier to stand on.

The prefinished click lock stuff may be too slippery when coated with sawdust?
    Bil lD

The surface of the red oak click floor I'd seen wasn't that shiny smooth, should be fine even with sawdust.