Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite handle profile for bench chisels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Hey Ken,
    It's Marples, most likely pre-war; they phased out the octagonal bolsters in the late 40s.
    I also like the plain boxwood handles of the type in your pic. If i get one of those and the handle or ferrule is not damaged, I leave it on.
    Steve,

Thanks.

I thought it was but with my bad eyes I couldn't make out the stamp. You may know I'm queer for pre-war Marples and will buy them anytime I see one that looks in good shape. I like the London pattern Ash handles as well but they are hard to find. Big thing on both is how light and, there is that word again, balanced they feel in hand when meeting steel to wood.

ken

BTW, in good shape means the back of the blade isn't pitted.

I am drawn instinctively to the Marples. On one hand it is a visual thing - a simple line (I think that they are beautiful). It looks and feels comfortable in the hand.

But, every time I use them, I feel something is missing. My hand slips forward, and there is nothing to prevent this.

The Veritas and the Blue Spuce handles provide a rest for the fore finger and thumb. I find that this increases control. While the BS handle is slightly shorter than the Veritas, they feel very similar. Both nestles in the palm. Very comfortable.

The chisel on the right is one of a set of Stanley 750s, which I re-handled (and re-ground the lands). This handle is closest to the Marples, but with the addition of a rest for the thumb - a bit of all worlds in one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chisel_1.jpg
    The chisel on the left is an Ashley Iles MKII, next is a replacement handle I turned, next Ashley Iles Butt chisel, next same, but with handle I turned. The Ashley Iles MkII feel much better in the hand than you would think. On the butt chisels my handle feels much better to me.

Chisel.jpg
    These are LN chisels with the original on the left and the larger Walnut I did for the whole set on the right. The walnut set were for a good friend.

Also all the handles I do have been stabilized.

0312191852_resized.jpg

The two Bubinga(Ashley Iles) chisels in the middle are showing the original size(no longer available) and the newer MkII. The original felt too large in my hand, the MkII is much more comfortable.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 09-05-2020 at 1:13 PM. Reason: add info
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I like the London pattern Ash handles as well
    What is a London pattern? (Or rather what/which is the London pattern you are referring to?) The google is showing my different things called that.

FWIW, I have three nice chisels. One each from Veritas, Lie-Nielson, and Blue Spruce. All have totally different handles, and I find all three to be comfortable, though I think I am developing a preference for the Veritas & LN shapes. (Which are pretty different to me).

One day I want to fill out my chisel "set", but I just can't decide which one I like better. Handles being a big part of the decision.

Bob Rozaieski has an article and video on making tapered octagon handles like the ones preferred by Steve above.

RehandleChisel08.jpg

London pattern refers to a combination octagonal and round chisel handle. It and many more examples at this link https://williammarplesandsons.com/ch...ouges/chisels/.

Best-cranked-1200x922.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    London pattern refers to a combination octagonal and round chisel handle. It and many more examples at this link https://williammarplesandsons.com/ch...ouges/chisels/.
    OK, thanks. I saw Ashley Iles chisels which were called London pattern that looked completely different which is what prompted my confusion.

I prefer a faceted handle. My hands don’t have the touch and feel that they once did and thefaceted handle seems to communicate better for me now.

Rafael,

Thanks, that kept me from needing to dig thru my photo files looking for one of a London pattern handle. BTW, I'm really jealous, that is a beautiful set of cranked chisels. Did you buy them new, find them as used set, or just did the dirty work of finding them one at a time. With chisels I've done all three, buying new is a hell of a lot easier than the other two.

ken

Ken, I lifted the picture of the cranked set from the web site. Unfortunately, my meager collection does not include a cranked chisel or a London pattern handle.20200903_221944.jpg

Ken, I lifted the picture of the cranked set from the web site. Unfortunately, my meager collection does not include a cranked chisel or a London pattern handle.20200903_221944.jpg
    Rafael,

Oh well, maybe some day . I keep hoping to find a nice set like that before I fully retire and can no longer afford to buy them. Which BTW is approaching at near the speed of light .

From the photo it looks as if you have all that is needed. It is easier that way. While it is nice to have a chisel for every need it is also a PITA to store and keep them sharp and free from rust. The only reason I can get away with my collection of tools is living in AZ, anywhere else I'd be down to a basic set.

ken

Late to the party, again. Here are some Berg chisels that I re-handled. I tried to replicate the Blue Spruce Paring handle.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries
    Those look great Phil. Is that maple?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks: yes, some maple scraps leftover from my bench build. Some nice curl on some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Those look great Phil. Is that maple?

jtk