I have wanted a nice grinder stand for as long as I can remember. I never gave it much priority since it felt like such a luxury to purchase a cast iron stand when any old thing will do but As a teenager interested in metal work, those gorgeous Baldor grinders on nice cast iron stands always called my attention (weird kid, I know).

A baldor grinder was offered to me a four years ago and I bought it. The stand was a junker but I kept using it. Finally I intended to throw it out, only to have my dad rescue it from my attempts to dispose of it.

I replaced that junker with a heavy thing I built for a large belt sander when I was a teenager. The belt sander stand must be 80lbs, it is 3/4 thick plate with 1/4 wall tubing but it’s one heck of an eye sore.

This year I decided finally, I’ll buy one. Well I waited, it ‘arrived’ I walk outside...no stand!?! Check my neighbors and no stand to be found. I tracked down the ups driver and he says ‘yup, delivered it’....huh? Well he was kind enough to help me look for it....no stand. We give up after checking all the houses on my side of the street. Finally, I give up and decide to call ups and file a claim. Ten minutes later a ring at the door. Ups driver with box in hand, he delivered it across the street but it was haunting him so he went over all of the houses in my neighborhood.

Twenty years and a saga later: