Thread: Puzzle box plans/books

Cool Puzzle box plans/books

I'm guessing that most of you have seen one type of puzzle box or another. You know...The kind where you have to tip it, shake it or pull certain pieces out in a certain order to open it. There are some pretty extravagant ones with multiple drawers and "secret compartments". So, where in blazes does a guy find plans, drawing or books on these neat projects? I've done several searches and keep coming up with sites where I can buy the completed box, but nothing on "how to". Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Check the bookstores

especially book stores like Books-A-Million or the discount book stores at the outlet malls. Most of those type books never hit the best sellers list and end up at the outlets. I've seen all sorts of books on puzzles, secret boxes, mechanical toys, whirligigs etc. at the larger bookstores, and sometimes at dirt cheap prices.
    Tony

"Puzzles in Wood". Edwin Wyatt, copyright 1946. Woodcraft (yeah, the woodworking store company is reprinting it). A neat little pamphlet of puzzles Wyatt designed for his high-school woodshop students to make. They vary from simple to challenging. Good stuff. Perhaps $10.

"Wonders in Wood". Edwin Wyatt, Linden Publishing. A sequel to Puzzles in Wood, this also has a bunch of good ones. Perhaps $10.

"The Puzzling World of Polyhedral Dissections". Stewart Coffin. Don't let the title intimidate you. There's lots of interesting puzzles in this one, and a good chapter in the back about practical construction methods. You can read this one on-line, or buy it in CD form, at www.johnrausch.com/puzzleworld.

"New Wood Puzzle Designs". James Follette, copyright 2001. Linden Publishing. This book isn't as good to me as the first three, but it has a few interesting ones in it. Around $20?

Hi John

I know of one simple puzzel box design on the web:

http://www.am-wood.com/apr98/puzzle.html

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away