Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Richard,

Normally I would feel the same exact way. And until just a few weeks ago I had been saying the same thing swearing up and down i would never touch the machine, that when my time came I would purchase nothing other than new as I did not want the potential headaches.

Then I started thinking that the saw cuts perfect. It’s built like tank and makes newer Scmi/Felder machines seem like tin cans. We also have a T130 and two T110 shapers at work yes they are used but man they are sweet by comparison to my Felder f700Z. Makes it seem like something I got at Toys R US.

I figure I can tear the whole machine down. Replace all bearings, probably the phenolic, paint the whole thing, shine up all the metal surfaces, replace the fence with a new extrusion and Brian Lambs digital stops and have a sweet saw.

Yes this is the hard way and not the dream I have been having with the Martin T60C. The fact is I need or rather want to make two more major two purchases. If both of those Purchases end up Martin that’s a 80K loan for like 5 years. I’m starting to think I’d rather buy myself a piece of land out near Mr Lake above put up a small home a large shop and live La Vita Loca.. the fact is I’ll buy one of the two I just can’t see how to buy both.

And yes my basement is pretty sweet. I’m also pretty motivated, so far there is nothing I have not been able to get in there. And the door is only five feet high lol..

c
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't touch a machine that has put in 32 years in a commercial shop. I certainly wouldn't pay for one, but if he is giving it to you instead of paying to have it hauled to the scrap yard, then maybe. Do you know if the pop rivets actually locate the rails, or are they bedded in epoxy, parallel to the machine, and then riveted in oversize holes for a mechanical fastening? Pop rivets aren't accurate fasteners, they swell into the hole. I think it would be extremely unlikely they locate the rails, but just my feeling. You can have the motor rewound, but have the bearings ever been replaced? I once had a motor overhauled in a Griggio. It had a skating sound for a couple of months. Found out that was the inner bearing race wearing on the shaft. They metal fused some material on it and returned the shaft. I think it was $350 to get the motor going again, in 1994. You must have one hell of a basement.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-06-2018 at 7:09 AM.