Thread: Car key replacement: Does this sound like a scam?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Car key replacement: Does this sound like a scam?

My Dad has a toyota where the keyless entry buttons are part of the key. He needs a replacement because he dropped in and it literally broke apart. Wierd, but ok. I steered my Dad to a small company I used about 2 years ago. The guy came out in a company van with their name on the side. He programmed the key to open the doors. Then he cut the key wrong. When you put it in the ignition one way, the car will turn over. When you flip the key, it won't turn in either the ignition or the door keyhole. (Car won't start in either case because the immobilizer hasnt been programmed yet - I was watching and verified that by trying it myself.)

The guy wanted to try and salvage the electronic part of the key (buttons, chip, etc) by installing a new blank blade in it. So he took it to the shop and was to return today. This PM he called my Dad to rechedule. Dad asked whether he was able to swap the blade he cut wrong for the new blank blade. He said no, they had to copy the code to open the doors to the electronics on a brand new key. Dad asked if they wiped/destroyed the old electronics and he said they did.

I can't decide if this is just a fluke or if they are setting my Dad up to steal his 5 year old toyota. I dont find anything listed for this company on the Better Business Bureau and no reviews on Angies List. I googled car key scams and didnt find anything like this.

I just have this nagging feeling Im missing something. What do you folks think?

Thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-25-2018 at 8:11 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”