Thread: Jointer recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I took up Peter's suggestion about Craigslist, and contacted the owner of the FS41 Elite. Going to go have a look Saturday. Anything I should be on the look out for that would make me walk away? Anything about this particular machine that's a pain or has been improved in later versions? Not sure about year of manufacture for this yet.

I have a minimax FS350 J/P that have taken apart into pieices twice and put back together when we moved twice. It is an excellent machinr and aside from the initial setup i had to do each time i didnt need to touch that again. Change over takes a minute or two but I am quite happy with the width. Wish it was wider!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    I took up Peter's suggestion about Craigslist, and contacted the owner of the FS41 Elite. Going to go have a look Saturday. Anything I should be on the look out for that would make me walk away? Anything about this particular machine that's a pain or has been improved in later versions? Not sure about year of manufacture for this yet.
    Great! I'd say bring a long straight edge to check the tables are co-planar. There should also be a Johnson bar type thing with wheels for moving it. Looks like a 2005-era machine but the hours are pretty low and it seems very clean I'd say the price is relatively reasonable.

This machine can accept a mortising table as well. These should be available from SCM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    There have been some minor revisions over the years, but it's essentially a "top shelf" machine. Like Mreza, I have the FS350 and it's been rock solid other than a bad switch right at the beginning many years ago. And I'll be jealous if you can score that FS41 Elite...there have been a few times that I wished for the 410mm/16" width over the 350mm/13.68" width I have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm half debating with myself about the FS41 Elite, over say a new A3-31. The price (straight knives) isn't too much higher for the A3-31. Also, Felder's showroom isn't far from me, and I'd like to see what they have on offer. The quotes I've gotten back for a new FS41 Elite have been quite a bit below retail listings, so I take it the Minimax sale is still going on? Still, it's over 7K for the new MM, which would be nice, but I could get a drum sander plus the used machine, or even a new Hammer for cheaper. There's also a FS30 Smart owner I've been in contact with. Under 3K for the machine, and he swears its mint and was barely ever used in the 10 years he's owned it. Gotta say I'm always concerned with machines that sit unused for long periods of time. Like most things, I'm probably overthinking it.

Again, that for all the help, everyone. You guys are invaluable resource!

I think Felder builds stuff to to order so you might want to inquire as to what the current wait time is for an A3-31. I don't believe these are stocked in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I think Felder builds stuff to to order so you might want to inquire as to what the current wait time is for an A3-31. I don't believe these are stocked in the US.
    Hi Peter, you would have to check to be sure.

In Ontario Felder bring in "standard" machines as stock and sell them, so you can often find the more popular configuration in stock........Rod.